Tool rest height - Sorby modular system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodN

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a set of tool rests... the Sorby modular tool rest system, which I am using with my CCL lathe.

PROBLEM 1
With the tool rest pillar fully bottomed out, the top of the tool rests are 10mm above the lathe centre line. (I am able to set the "crude" CCL tool rest just above centre).

I appreciate that tool rest height is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but 10mm just feels way too high after using the standard tool rest. It feels as if I am pointing the tool much too far down. Bear in mind that I am turning pens down to about 10mm diameter anyway. It just feels so strange!

Am I being concerned unduly? Or is this just "normal"?
The only way to get the tool rest lower would be to saw some metal off the bottom of the pillar.

PROBLEM 2
Second question.... looking at a "normal" tool rest, the business edge is well forwards of the pillar. With the Sorby system, the fulcrum point for the tool is way back from the wood (exactly above the pillar). When turning smaller diameters, the main adjustment for the tool rest to wood distance is right in.... you just can't get it closer. Hence there is (I feel) too much potential for chatter.

Or am I being concerned unduly?

Rod

HI

I had the same problem when I had my CCL I cut about an inch of the bottom of the stem. It is fairly soft so you could do it with a hacksaw if you feel like some exercise. :D I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk and the tidied up the cut on the grinder, only took a couple of minutes. The other problem with pushing the stem right down in the banjo is that it makes it very hard to adjust the position of the banjo as it interferes with the locking mechanism.

I never had any problems with the distance from the wood to where the top rests on the rest and still use the system today on my small lathe.

john

Can't help you on point 1) but on point 2) - what size rests did you get ? I often use the 4" one for light pulls, wine savers etc and can move it right in close between the chuck and the tail centre.

Chris.

I bought all three sizes. Yes, thoretically the small one should move right in.
The problem I have is that the banjo on the CCL won't move close enough to the work when turning small diameters, because the centre of the rest (the pivot point) is directly above the mounting pillar, whereas with a standard tool rest it is further forwards.

Are you using the 2 parts to the banjo? I took the 2nd part off and haven't used it since as I found it to be more nuisance than it's worth.

Pete

The CCL I have just has one part.

(I just took it off.... and boy! Was it rough on all the cast faces!
So I took the opportunity to clean it up.)

Rod

I can sympathise with you Rod, I've never liked the bar tool rest. Mainly because of the problem you have just stated, a lot of lathes have banjo's which will just not go close enough to the centre of the lathe, and the bar rest only aggravates this problem.

I make my own and always make them out of flat bar which leans forward 45deg. off the top of tool post stem. That way I can always get as close as I like to the work no matter how small it is, and the pivot point is beside the work not half the bar diameter back.

Saying all that a lot of people use bar rests and get on great with them, guess its just what your used to.

Back