Tool chests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piqued my interest for personal reasons so took a quick look. No personal experience of the brand Mike. Sorry.
Same price on Amazon on the 7 drawer I looked at. The reviews seem a little more balanced on there and there's a few to compare under 'similar products'. They all look like a rebrand of the same toolbox to me. If you look at the amazon pics they give a better idea of hinge quality, construction. I have a small halfords brand one that is ok for light use. Looks a similar quality. It's 'alright' at best. In a professional garage for example it would be scrap in a day or three. For occasional it's ok. I once used my little 3 drawer halfords one as a step. I'm a massive 10 stone and bent the lid with My Immense Hulk Like Weight. :mrgreen: *roars in anger in a half hearted manner*
Still works. It's just the lid is bent now.
As always... you pays your money... I suppose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-G301T7BB ... tool+chest
Looks like a permanent 'sale' item to me. Mind you I could be totally off the mark and someone comes along with experience of the brand and gives a good review. Let's hope so. That would be a cracking price for a good product. :D
Quick search of best uk wheeled toolbox reviews will bring lots of options. I'd search Pistonheads.co.uk
Personally I'll stick with mine! :cry:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the reply, its all a bit of a compromise in reality, fourteen drawers seem a "good" compromise, I already have a cabinet with a door front and find it not very useful so the wish for a multi drawer unit, just thought I would post in case someone has this unit and could comment on its veracity, may just have to bight the inevitable and buy one.

Mike

Sorry Mike small edit before you posted. Was doing a little more digging. I quite fancy a decent storage system in place myself. The money for a top brand is not there at this end. We'll survive.

I've had a couple of the "Teng" setups similar to the ones you are looking at. As Chris says, there are several incarnations of the same cabinets, minor differences at most.
I've had mine for the last 25 years or so, one set in the workshop and and the other on the road with me at weekends, servicing at race meetings. I've had no problems at all, no drawer runner failures, no hinge problems, well worth the investment in my opinion.

I recently got a roller tool chest from SGS

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage- ... ol-cabinet

it is the equivalent model to the bottom half of the Hilka model you linked to. I wish I had done it years ago, and still get a little heart skip of joy every time I open a draw and immediately find the tool I need.

There are lots of different makes, many of which seem to be permanently on sale as suggested by BM. The main difference seems to be the grade of steel used (some are much heavier than others) and whether or not you get decent ball bearing sliders for the draws.

Thanks for all the inputs Guys, seems I will have to be the fall guy on this one, as no one has any experience on this particular model, will get one and report back if I remember where to find this thread. #-o can't seem to find a crinkly old man smiley. :ho2

Mike

Back