Tonsillectomy in Adults

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this done as an adult?

Reason for asking is that it will happen to me tomorrow and I ain't looking forward to it - I'm 58 :(

How bad is it likely to be? The docs say it won't be good and others have said it will be quite painful. I've got to stay away from work for two weeks.

regards

Brian

I don't think it matters much whether you're an adult as such, more a case of the state of your tonsils.
My mother had hers removed at over 60, I had mine removed at 14. My school attendance was less than half so mine were removed as I couldn't engage in sports or owt else, and as I came around from the anethaesthia my first reaction was 'oh no not another cold!' so you can see it wasn't that bad.
Obviously swallowing is initially difficult but modern pain killers are very good.
My cancer surgery resulted in a 7 inch incision in the lower abdomen and I suffered no discomfort at all.
Hope that helps and watch for the pretty nurses and stay on the right side of the Staff Nurse!

Roy.

Slim":3lza9xku said:
I won't tell you what happened to my sister... :wink:

I was about to say "So what happened to your sister?"

But on second thoughts, maybe I don't really want to know. Perhaps you can tell me tomorrow when it's too late, although I won't be reading this forum for a couple of days.

regards

Brian

More seriously Brian, if the medicos have decided to carry out such a procedure your tonsils must be pretty bad and I can say from experience that if that is so you will bloody glad to have got rid of them. I certainly was!

Roy.

Well I've been having problems now for about 6 or 7 months and it just won't go away. I've had a sore larynx as well and as my job involves a lot of lecturing it's affecting my work because my voice keeps giving out halfway through.

Incidental they are only going to take one tonsil out, they said the other one is okay :?

regards

Brian

That should make the swallowing a bit easier at least.

Roy.

I had it done last October after getting a nasty abcess, the op was not a problem and I even went home the same day, once the aneasetic wore off, it was a little sore and it was about a month before I started to feel good again, i'm only 18 :^o sorry I meant 50

brianhabby":23e7z09x said:
Incidental they are only going to take one tonsil out, they said the other one is okay :?

regards

Brian
They said they were just going to take out one of mine but the surgeon agreed to remove both of them.

I`ll had to the list of people that are far happier with life WITHOUT.

I had a hell of a time before the op, 2 weeks later right as rain and never looked back since (I was 9 though!)

Steve

I avoided saying this yesterday.

But now Brian is "under" so to speak :twisted:

Quite recently, wasn't there someone (moderately famous, IIRC) who died after this op ??

Brian,

Now its too late, I will tell you what happenend to my sister.

She had her tonsils removed a few years ago in Aberdeen. Unfortunately, she contracted MRSA (She is a nurse, so is probably a carrier anyway). Her breath was foul. We could not bear to be in the same room as her. One night, while she was asleep, she haemorrhaged. No exaggeraton, she half filled a bucket with the blood pouring from her mouth. She was rushed to hospital and the wound was quarterised with cocaine. It took her a while to get back to her normal nagging self. :lol:

I hope you are better quickly.

Expect to wake up with a stomach full of blood.

"Nurse" I shouted "I'm feeling sick".........."very sick"............"err really sick"........... "err can you bring some new sheets"..........

I had them out as an adult and can say:

In the long run - fantastic, what a difference, a real quality of life improvement for me.

In the short term, adults and tonselectomys don't mix. Its absolutely nothing like the operation of a child. Big fiborous difficult things to remove in an adult.

I got an infection afterwards which didn't help.

The general anasthetic wiped me out for ages, and it took several weeks to feel "normal" again.

Was it worth it. Absolutely Yes.

Adam

I always remember being sent to the bathroom with a glass of pale blue liquid and told to gargle with it.
It cured my stomach ache!

Roy.

Well I came home yesterday after having the op on Thursday pm.

Fortunately I don't feel too bad but obviously my throat is pretty raw at the moment.

Simon,

I'm glad you didn't tell me about your sister before I went in, sound like she had a pretty rough time of it. They did warn me though that there is a risk of bleeding up to ten days after the op so I'll just hope nothing like that happens to me.

lurker":1w7tydqy said:
Brian,

I hope all this will cheer you up no end, when you read it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, absolutely :lol:

Must say I have nothing but praise for the hospital staff, nothing is too much trouble for them, even though my op was relatively minor (there's always someone with a worse condition that you, isn't there) they looked after my every need.

I've just got to take it easy for a couple of weeks, keep away from people they've told me to help avoid infection.

regards

Brian

Good news mate, delighted to hear that you're progressing well. Soon have you back in the workshop.

Roy.

Back