tongue and grooving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinfrance

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all,

when cutting tongue and groove edges in boards with, lets say, a spindle moulder. are there any angles involved other than 90 degrees?

please help as i am very confused.

all the best,

jeff

If it is T&G as in floorboards I doubt it. But if you are looking to join boards there is the lockmitre block that can do mitres and straight joints. Felder, Wealden, CMT, Whitehill etc all do such a block

really looking for a common concensus on this so as many replys as possible. how can i post a poll for a simple yes no answer?

Some profiles have a slight chamfer on the edges of the tongue to make it easier to engage. The groove is usually deeper than the tongue so the joint can be closed up easily.

Also the sides of the cutters can have clearance angles on them eg if you have a 6mm bit sticking out to cut a 6mm groove this may be 5.5-5.0mm at its base so the non cutting sides don't rub the work and scorch. Same applies to each side of the knife that forms the tongue

And if you are using the type of T&G cutters that give the profile you get on ply & chipboard flooring then yes they will be angled.

You acn also get a profile wher ethe top of the tongue is angled which makes it easier for secret nailing.

Post a picture of the knife so we know what you are on about.

I've also seen the lower side of the groove cut back, again to help close the joint.

Some of the wide V joint profiles cut at 5 degrees this would be profile No 113/114 on 40mm knives

Jason

thanks jason for the detailed reply......i'm more confused than ever...lol

how do i post a pic? never done it before. need to learn as i have some WIP's i'd like to share.

jeff

cheers jason, i'll take you up on that if i may. although adams instructions are excellent, just dont have the spare couple of hours. maybe one day, so i can post my wips.

do you want to pm me your email, and i'll get that pic off to you later.

Back