Todays good find

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up what I thought was a nice panel pin plunger today from a house clearance shop.

DSCN5207.JPG

Looked loved and well used with a nice action so it deserves a good home.

DTR asked
My grandfather had one of those, what is it for?

Generally its for pushing panel pins in to a surface especially in a confined space and say up to glass, say a glazing bead.

Glazing bead required

Requires+a+new+bead.jpg

The kit required showing the recent purchase and my existing pin pusher which in my opinion does not have the classical look of the recent purchase.

The+kit+needed.jpg

The Pusher loaded up

Load+the+pin%2521.JPG

Pushed into the bead.

P%257Eress+down+on+the+spring+and+push.JPGRemove

Remove pusher leaving pin proud.

The+pin.JPG

Punched in

Tap+down+with+nail+punchjpg.jpg

The finished article.

The+finished+article+jpg.jpg

If your Grandad still has one I would see if it is still there as I find this a useful tool.

There's no need to use a separate punch - just push harder or whack it with a mallet.

It was one of my favourite tools when helping my old dad, 40+ years ago. Very handy for pinning down hardboard, Barry Bucknall style!

I now have one of my own. Well, two actually, a modern plastic one and a proper one!

Hi Andy, quite right about pushing in at one go. When I saw this one I went for its slim look. I dont kmow how old it is or its make but when you hold it it fits snug in your hand.
The metal work is chrome plated and there is a name engraves on the barrel which is Leyris. Because of the shiny chrome I cant photograph the engraving with any detail but I have tried to copy the style in pen. If any one can make anything of it I am sure you can.

The+box.jpg

Regards

adzeman":164zswuc said:
If your Grandad still has one I would see if it is still there as I find this a useful tool.

Thank you for the info, it makes perfect sense now. Unfortunately my grandfather died five years ago and the panel pin plunger wasn't saved. He wasn't a woodworker but I did save a few of the tools that he did have.

Have googled Leyris and all thats come up so far they are an old British tool manufacturer and their tools are described as vintage. i.e. Less than 100 year old

Back