Today in the workshop...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually the title is a lie, today I have not been in the workshop at all, today I have been on the workshop. My double garage is not the most watertight of environments, one of the reasons for this is the roof, which had lost all of its protective pitch covering.

As it looked sunny today I decided to break out the plywood sheet, knee pad and steel brush to get the loose stuff off before painting. About 3 hours later I was a wreck but the roof was clean. A break for lunch, pasta as it happens which was a bad idea as a belly full of pasta is no good when you're spending the afternoon bent over double with a brush in your hand.

I quickly found out that whilst bitumen paint smells lovely it is an absolute swine to put on, especially when you haven't stirred it properly and you're trying to paint on the slightly mobile tar in the bottom third of the tin. Several hours after that I'd run out of paint and time as I had to take Mrs IB to the airport, about 20% still to cover. On the first coat...

So need more clear weather, at least 2 tins more of paint, new hands, new knees and a replacement for my broken spirit. On the plus side it does look quite nice and I may try and bore you all with some pictures of a black garage roof as I get all emotional when it's finished.

Still, on a more positive front it's work tomorrow. pipper

No they were in the garage taunting me with their black stickiness. Had to resort to a white spirit soaked nailbrush to get my hands in a presentable state for work

I have a box of latex gloves in the garage too. It was only when I was getting rushed and fed up at the end that I got paint everywhere.

You could fry eggs on my knees at the minute, I think I'm going to be crippled tomorrow

Ironballs":1jmmo9gu said:
I have a box of latex gloves in the garage too. It was only when I was getting rushed and fed up at the end that I got paint everywhere.

You could fry eggs on my knees at the minute, I think I'm going to be crippled tomorrow
any photos of the roof ib ? probably going to have to do mine this year so looking for as much info as poss

I can do once finished, looks okay so far. Just worked out why my lower back is more tender the rest of me, I have a thin strip of sunburn where the t-shirt finished and shorts started

Ironballs":3i2laq7g said:
I have a thin strip of sunburn where the t-shirt finished and shorts started
I see were you went wrong, full collar and tie along with smart trousers, pressed with turn ups would have prevented this problem. :roll: :wink:

DaveL":2o0gwph5 said:
Ironballs":2o0gwph5 said:
I have a thin strip of sunburn where the t-shirt finished and shorts started
I see were you went wrong, full collar and tie along with smart trousers, pressed with turn ups would have prevented this problem. :roll: :wink:

Now THAT would have been worthy of a photo.. :lol: :lol:

Andrew

MickCheese":3d0p6oqi said:
When you buy the next tins of paint invest in a box of gloves.

Easier than a scrubbing brush. :D

Mick

Over the years I've tried lots of different disposable latex gloves, but they always seem to tear too easily. Recently I came across some blue latex disposable gloves in Homebase, they're quite a bit stronger than the normal transparent ones, and as an added advantage they're available in different sizes so you're not struggling to get them on!

Something worth knowing about ... Many people have an allergy to Latex, and find the gloves can lead to all kinds of nasties happening to the skin of your hands ..
If this is something that happens to you - go for the Nitrile ones, ( they're purple ) which will usually overcome the problem.

HTH :)

Not as crippled as I thought, but my sunburn strip is very tender. Thankfully a little rain has stopped play for the minute so the rest can wait. No problems with latex for me, on hands or, er, anywhere else

IB
Worth buying a cheap broom to apply the paint, too - much quicker than a paint brush. DAHMIKT :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

I did consider that Philly, the scene from The Shawshank Redemption where they're tarring the roof kept going through my mind, probably because they had beer and I didn't, but as it's corrugated it doesn't lend itself easily to a broom. Hands feel severly beaten today, that's what comes from leaning on corrugations most of the day

Back