Today I have mostly been....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileytoolworks

Established Member
Reaction score
making these...

Volume/tone knobs for guitars. Air dried English Holly.
Well,that was in my lunch break.

The rest of the day was spent working on these...

The shape of these allows them to nest in tha hand very comfortably, with easy access to the tightening screw, which is knurled for extra purchase. The banjos are in brass so as not to marr the stainless rod.
The bodies have been soaking in thinned linseed oil for 10 hours under vacuum. Soaking in linseed is an age old technique and should provide many years of protection whilst allowing the user to maintain the finish.
These ones are in Wenge, and I'm looking into other timbers at the moment.
Half of the wheels have been hardened, the rest will be done in the morning. Then the lot will be annealed in the oven with the roast tomorrow (Don't tell my wife :wink: )

The silver steel wheels are countersunk both sides, so the bevel can be set on the waste side.
I am looking into a version which also features a pin, held in place using the existing screw.
These will be shipped with the necessary tool to remove the wheel fixing screw.

Thanks for looking.

Adam.

Sorry Chippy1970. I somehow missed your post.
These will be in the shop when I get some decent pictures. I'll put the pictures on here too.
They'll be £85.

Thanks again for the interest.

Adam.

First post

Hi Adam beautiful looking gauge, I have one with a very similar holding mechanism given to me by a chippy retiring from the game a good while ago and it wasn't new then.
One difference it does have is under the banjo is a small spring with just enough pressure to hold the bar in place when setting the gauge.Something to think about or not what ever. Billy.

I'm really glad I'm not paired with you for SS, I'd never be able to match anything you've made :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy, that's genius. Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun!

Waka, that's a joke right? Your work has been an inspiration to me for years.

All the best.
Adam.

Wow......not worthy.......if I did not have at least 10 marking gauges already, I would buy one.......may well buy one anyway as I only have of that type !

Cheers, Mark

Brilliant work Adam. I'm assuming they are for a Strat or Strat-lookalike (that'll be the knobs :lol: )
Billy's note regarding the small spring is really good I think. I have one of Adam's gauges here 'on test' and the banjo mechanism is excellent as it takes a small touch of the thumbwheel to lock it - any more than that is just over tightening unnecessarily. But I had noticed that when backed off the stem slides easily away from the range you wanted - so thumbs up for a spring maybe.
Beautifully made these things - the quality of every component is a delight - well done Adam.
Agree Waka, pity the poor sod who draws Adam as his SS recipient :lol: :lol:

Top notch work Adam, as usual. I've seen one of your pieces in the flesh, and the quality was outstanding. True "heirloom" quality.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers

Karl

condeesteso":9yv0d5i2 said:
Brilliant work Adam. I'm assuming they are for a Strat or Strat-lookalike (that'll be the knobs :lol: )
Billy's note regarding the small spring is really good I think. I have one of Adam's gauges here 'on test' and the banjo mechanism is excellent as it takes a small touch of the thumbwheel to lock it - any more than that is just over tightening unnecessarily. But I had noticed that when backed off the stem slides easily away from the range you wanted - so thumbs up for a spring maybe.

Many of the better metrology pieces have this, as does the Veritas small router.

On a combo square, the tightening nut pulls on a bolt, and bears down (finally) on the stock to lock. However, the nut is also hollow, and has a spring (inside the nut, around the bolt). This spring pushes down on the stock and provides "some tension" even when the nut is slackened.

On the Veritas router, the nut bears down on a crimped washer. When you fully tighten, the crimps fully flatten, so it's as if the nut now engages a solid surface, providing a full "lock".

BugBear

Back