(Beware: rant) Today I has been mostly...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
... resoldering the line output transistor and transformer in daughter #1's eMac.

It took around four hours to work out how to get it apart without breaking anything (that bit is most decidedly NOT supposed to be user serviceable). Still it was gratifying to find broken/dry solder joints exactly where they might have been expected given the symptoms (display collapsing, but sometimes coming back when she thumped it!).

Last week I replaced eight electrolytics on the motherboard, which also took ages.

Why bore you lot with all this? Three horrible words: lead-free solder!

Basically it's rubbish. The melting point is about 30deg C hotter than leaded, it's brittle and it doesn't wet the copper surfaces at all well. I've more than a few soldering irons, including one bought specifically because it was supposed to be 'suitable' for lead free work. None of the electronics-sized ones work satisfactorily.

On the motherboard, I couldn't desolder the plated-through holes satisfactorily (after hours of trying). None of my favourite techniques, even cooking the end of the iron in the DC's kitchen blowlamp, didn't work. You could have molten solder on one side of the board and solid metal on t'other. My three solder suckers were all almost useless. I was reduced to drilling out the last few holes as I simply couldn't spend any more time on it.

The scary thing though was the failure modes of the tube drive components: two joints, one on the LOPT and one on the drive transistor, had annular fractures half-way up the solder cone. The machine isn't subject to vibration (unless you count LOPT 'singing'), so this was a surprise. There are a few other suspect joints I've cleaned off and re-soldered - happily the power/tube drive board is single-sided, and easier to desolder.

If these problems are common, the reliability of electronic devices must plummet, especially in applications like vehicles and aerospace, which are subject to vibration and large temperature variations.

Thank you, nameless and unaccountable mandarins of the EU, for Directive 2002/95/EC. I hope several 'fly-by-wire-not' jets crash on your houses :twisted:

... After the debacle of the smoothing caps on the motherboard, I took a deep breath and went to Maplins. They have some silver solder (horrifically expensive, as you might expect), which seems to be compatible with the lead free whatever, but has a lower melting point. It seems to have worked with the LOPT, etc., but the finished joints look really horrible - in a leaded solder environment I'd be re-making them as they look dry (although they can't be). In two hours time I'll know if it's worked.

This has been a tedious and sobering experience, more so as I know she's not grateful (she was hoping I wouldn't mend it and she'd get a Macbook instead!).

Is it just me or is the world going bonkers?

lead-free solder!

Bl**ding stuff. I'll hazard a guess that those mandarins so careful of our health and safety have never tried it!
If they do use it in FBW aircraft God help the passengers, it may dip/brush etc ok but any repairs would be a bit suspect I think.

Roy.

Hi,

I have been there my self, what with the lead free solder and huge ground panes its virtually imposible to replace caps on motherboards or cards.
We had to use lead free low fume solder at work for a while but it was useless so we went back to the good stuff.

If you see any 60/40 buy it it isn't going to around for long.

Pete

jimi43":312ns22t said:
Why not just use leaded solder?

Jim

Problem #1 is de-soldering the motherboard plated-through holes, problem #2 is re-soldering new components.

I found leaded solder didn't have any effect on the melting point. I'd expected the addition of leaded solder to drop the mp, but it doesn't seem to do that. The silver solder seems to work better, but the joints look nasty. Looking with a hand lens, about one-in-five machine-made joints have visible voids. I found one with four visible. I re-made and reheated anything that looked the slightest bit dodgy.

(later) I finished re-assembling it and turned it on: it started booting normally ('bonged'), then flashed-over, twice.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

The CRT is surrounded by thick earth bonding straps, which screw down to a magnetic shield round the shadowmask end. I've no idea why (tiredness?) I'd left one loose, and for some reason it had got caught under the anode's rubber boot, just enough. I'll try again tomorrow morning when I'm properly awake - hopefully I haven't fried it - it's certainly got (had) EHT now :roll:

The CRT is surrounded by thick earth bonding straps, which screw down to a magnetic shield round the shadowmask end. I've no idea why (tiredness?)

Aren't Mu metal screens always earthed?

Roy.

I am still using the supplies of real solder I got when I left RS 29 years ago :) this lead free is awful

Digit":2o3s7zt4 said:
The CRT is surrounded by thick earth bonding straps, which screw down to a magnetic shield round the shadowmask end. I've no idea why (tiredness?)

Aren't Mu metal screens always earthed?

Roy.

Sorry - I meant there are loads of straps, going in all directions, including several from the same lumps of metal to each other.

I actually got caught out: There were two from the can (round the guns) down to the magnetic screening at the front. I cut about four ty-wraps dismantling it, and realised late last night I'd routed some straps and wires wrongly. Unbolted one two of the straps to redo it and forgot to put one back. The tag at the end somehow got under the anode cover, with predictable (loud and bright!) results. :oops:

Had a look this morning: cleaned everything up, put the cables back properly. IT STILL WORKS!

=D> :eek:ccasion5: \:D/ =D> =D>

Relieved? You bet!

Know the feeling! Nothing like an EHT arc for ruining underclothes is there!?

Roy.

Digit":1gzctsxn said:
Know the feeling! Nothing like an EHT arc for ruining underclothes is there!?

Roy.

It has a translucent case:

96emac400x400.jpg

It lit up rather spectacularly, an made oi jump.

I'm now considering some flashing coloured LEDs inside for next April 1st. Maplins may have some uses after all :)

Until last year I worked in the electronics industry on the military side.

The military give a dispensation to allow the use of leaded solder as the reliability is as yet unproven. As I understand it there is no problem using full lead solder with lead free tinned components.

Bob

Digit":3k7b4erx said:
DIY lightning! :lol:

Roy.

Have a look at http://www.capturedlightning.com/.

I bought one of Mr. Hickman's Lichtenberg figures as a birthday present for my Dad - it's every bit as beautiful as you might expect. He has some videos on YouTube demonstrating how they're made (scary!). There's one with the camera on a tripod, actually inside the particle accelerator chamber, and you can see the flashes as stray electrons hit the CCD array. The discharges are good too.

As a teenager, the factory I worked in made Van de Graff generators and induction coils etc. Loadsa fun.

When I saw that link I began to sweat! I had a mod tell me off on another forum for being rude to a nutter about Tesla.
Did you know that there is a fan club for him? According to them Tesla invented God, the heavens, anti gravity, weather control, invisibility and the Aether!

Roy.

Digit":jiti5n0r said:
When I saw that link I began to sweat! I had a mod tell me off on another forum for being rude to a nutter about Tesla.
Did you know that there is a fan club for him? According to them Tesla invented God, the heavens, anti gravity, weather control, invisibility and the Aether!

Roy.

You mean he didn't? #-o

Bill Hickman actually has a good page explaining in layman's terms why Tesla got it wrong regarding power transfer ("current wave") etc. I think he's on the side of the good guys.

It is odd, though, how engineers get a bee in their bonnet and suddenly depart from logic and the scientific method.

I was reminded of the late great Eric Laithwaite and his latter-day fascination with gyroscopes. One of my greatest regrets is having had an achievable offer from Imperial when in the 6th form (1970s) and not putting the effort in. I could have been one of his students, which would have been fun.

Sigh.

You mean he didn't?

I must admit that I'm dubious about the God bit. :lol:
The US government blew up his 'tower' during WW2 and many of his papers have vanished, enter the conspiracy theorists!
I've been having a long term argument with two such, to them anything that is conventional is part of a cover up.
The world is ruled by a cabal of Jewish bankers who orchestrate everything from Darwin through WW2 to 9/11 and the Falklands War!
Tesla was a genius, without a doubt, but God he was not!
I've just entered a debate, (I know I'll regret it) on Operation Clover Leaf, the conspiracy theorists are having a field day!

Prepare to meet thy doom!

http://www.whale.to/b/chemtrails.html

Roy.

9fingers":1zieyy9c said:
As I understand it there is no problem using full lead solder with lead free tinned components.

Bob

That's interesting because I made some boards a while back with lead free tinning and lead free components - soldered with leaded stuff. About six months later it failed and I had some rather nasty looking joints a bit like Eric has described. I redid one with lead free solder and it seemed to be okay. Perhaps it was some other factor which caused the joints to fail.... hmm the plot thickens there.

David

PS Eric - glad you fixed it! It is always very satisfying to fix electronic stuff!

Back on the subject of conspiracy theories I just had to post this one!

A somewhat different version of this theory maintains that humanity is actually under the control of shape-shifting alien reptiles, who require periodic ingestion of human blood to maintain their human appearance. David Icke has been a devoted proponent of this theory.[61] Reportedly the Bush family and the British Royal Family are actually such creatures, and Diana, Princess of Wales was aware of this, presumably relating to her death.[61] David Icke's theory, which encompasses many other conspiracy theories, is that humanity is actually under the reptilians; with evidence ranging from Sumerian tablets describing the "Anunnaki" (which he translates as "those who from heaven to earth came"), to the serpent in the Biblical Garden of Eden, to child abuse and water fluoridation. This theory has been the subject of several books

Roy.

Digit":n7nwhdqf said:
This theory has been the subject of several books[/i]

Roy.

But since Charmin has become more readily available, they aren't quite so popular. :twisted:

I can never work out whether he's really round the twist or very calculating.
I suspect it's a bit of both.

I met him once (in another life), back in the days when he was just an ex-footballer doing TV. Seemed very normal then (who wouldn't rather live on the Isle of Wight?), but it was before the 'seriously nutty' period.

My all-time fave was/is Mr. Not-a-namesake-really von Daniken. Fraud and embezzlement before breakfast and then a full afternoon of exposing the darkest secrets of interstellar cultural interference (and banking cheques).

But is he a real human, or just some terrible hoax perpetrated by the Illuminati?

Don't ask me. 8)

Latest posts

Back