To wax or not to wax???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
No, - not me legs!!

Just finishing a box with Danish oil. After about 8 coats it's looking rather good and wondering if waxing will make a lot of difference?

Heard that applied with fine wire wool it helps build up that sheen that just makes it look that little bit better.

Any opinions?

Increasing the number of oil coats beyond 2 or 3 doesn't really increase the gloss / sheen much more. You are much better off finishing the finish with some wax as you say. You'll be amazed what a difference it makes. Just apply with fine steel wool or webrax. And then polish to the sheen you're after :).
Cheers
Gidon

Yeah, I always wax small boxes after danish oil or patina. I have never tried applying with wire wool on a finished box through as my experiments on off-cuts have proved to be unsatisfactory

Should be OK Pam. I have no used Briwax as I use Chestnut products, however Chestnut's wax works fine over the Patina

I've used briwax over patina on oak (not with wire wool). Still pleased with the result after about 12 years

Andy

Back