Titebond veneer glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
Doing some veneered work and wondering about Titebond veneer glue.

This job requires complex curved work so can't avoid some veneering over end grain.

Is Titebond veneer glue suitable to gluing over end grain - I kind of assume it is - and do I need to size the end grain as some suggest?

If I were to use later on pine as base with veneer on top, would I need to size the pine first before gluing with Titebond veneer glue?

Am i missing something here, but what do you mean by "size" ?

Normal titebond should be fine we used to you a speaicla pva from bagpress for veneering, but titesbond is good

Adidat

Sorry yes - by 'size' I mean some text books (admittedly the older ones) say that end grain and porous woods such as pine should be 'sized' before glueing veneering. By this they seem to say brush over body (not veneer) with a weak solution of glue - water/glue mix then when dry glue the veneer on. They suggest this so that the end grain / porous woods won't absorb the glue too much and prevent the veneer from sticking to the wood in those areas.

But I'm wondering if this is necessary with the more modern glues around now-a-days. The project I have is a clock with a lot of curves and I can't avoid end grain, and wonder if I can use Titebond straight from the tube as it were without having to size. I might use pine later too.

Im sorry im not sure i quite up to speed with what your trying to achieve, but it all sounds quite complicated, hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

Adidat

As I see it, If you don't size the ground, and it needed it you are in the doo doo. Iv you do size and it didn't need it you loose very little.

xy

Back