Tite-mark rival from Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted before - I've just noticed this Tite-mark copy in the latest Rutlands catalogue - at £23.95 it is very cheap compared to the real thing, or even compared to the Sureline version. Has anyone tried one yet? I wonder if we could get one for Alf to add to her review :-k

Cheers,
Neil

Oh, Neil, no, not again...! :lol:

I'm not sure if this is why these apparent copies are cheaper, but IIRC the TiteMark is set up so the two locking screws don't turn round the stem with the fence adjustment. That correct, TiteMark folks? My hunch is these cheaper one's probably allow one locking knob to spin round, which could potentially be a irritating at some fence settings. Just a thought that occurred to me.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":gg2fwvce said:
Yep, I think you should review this, and the two Surelines, and the Tite-mark mini, and a Dalziel special, and... damn, why are there so few wheel marking guages? :p :lol:

If you look again at the pic, you'll see a channel down the length of the bar just like on the Tite-mark, which should stop the locking screw spinny problem thingy. It really does look like a close copy to me... :-k only difference I can see is that for some inexplicable reason they seem to have used a round-head bolt to attach the cutter.

Cheers,
Neil

Alf":3dlie85v said:

I'm not sure if this is why these apparent copies are cheaper, but IIRC the TiteMark is set up so the two locking screws don't turn round the stem with the fence adjustment. That correct, TiteMark folks? My hunch is these cheaper one's probably allow one locking knob to spin round, which could potentially be a irritating at some fence settings. Just a thought that occurred to me.

Cheers, Alf
You are correct that is how the Titemark is made.

In looking at both the Rutlands and the Sureline photos, it appears they are made similar in that there is a groove down the rod for the screws to go in just as the Titemark.

From the photos, it appears the Rutlands is a better machined copy than the Sureline version.

As to why the price disparities to the Titemark? My guess is because they were first and had no competition. The price disparity between Rutlands and Sureline? My feeling is Sureline priced their goods to undercut the Titemark and make maximum profit. Now with another version for less and what looks like a nicer finish to the product? Who knows where prices will go.

I believe that for this side of the pond and with LN selling the Titemark, their sales here may well be assured in the US regardless. If it were me and I was there, I'd take a risk for the Rutlands one if I needed another marking gauge. If they had a walk-in store [I assume they do] and there was a member near, perhaps they could take a look at it. Quite a savings if it works fine.

Take care, Mike
now my head hurts from thinking...

MikeW":2kh4kazq said:
If they had a walk-in store [I assume they do]
They don't :( Oh nuts, you're getting me thinking I wanna try it now... ](*,)

Tempted, Alf

Who's selling tools to buy parrot cages, not to buy more tools. #-o

Neil":2aqwug3k said:
Apologies if this has been posted before - I've just noticed this Tite-mark copy in the latest Rutlands catalogue - at £23.95 it is very cheap compared to the real thing, or even compared to the Sureline version. Has anyone tried one yet? I wonder if we could get one for Alf to add to her review :-k

Cheers,
Neil

Does anyone know if you can get mortice sets for this Rutlands/Dekota guage?

Needing a new marking gauge, and being a bit of a cheapskate, decided to risk purchasing a Rutlands £23.99 Tite-mark lookalike.

Turns out to be nicely made in brass/steel (Taiwan, probably direct Titemark copy, in Rutlands Dakota brand blisterpack.) And no, the head (41mm) doesn't rotate when you fine adjust. Minor cost paring, the 'boater' style wheel is secured with standard pan head screw and washer. The (very tiny) bevel is properly on the 'inside'. Nice heft in the hand, delivered sharp enough to use straight away. Shaft about 175mm, max. gauge is about 116mm. Especially in view of the rather unrealistic cost of the original, I feel quite chuffed every time I pick it up!

MOREOVER the shaft is 8mm so presumably Tite-mark mortice wheels ($24 a pair) will fit. Axminster (now the official LN UK agents?) don't carry these, does anyone know where they may be had in the UK?

Ivan, thanks for that. Interesting...

ivan":gn9573fa said:
MOREOVER the shaft is 8mm so presumably Tite-mark mortice wheels ($24 a pair) will fit. Axminster (now the official LN UK agents?) don't carry these, does anyone know where they may be had in the UK?
I gather Mike Hancock's getting them in soon. He's a rather better stockist of LN than the "official" Axminster, to be honest.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the mini-review, Ivan - I think I might try one of these myself...

Cheers,
Neil

Neomorph":6q037kht said:
Hey Alf, what type of tool is a parrot cage??? :lol:
It's the Health and Safety sort - when my ears start getting in danger of being bitten I apply the appropriate guarding to the hazardous parrot... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just spotted on the packing as I went to bin it, "brass and stainless steel". The adjusting screws look stainless, I thought the stem was plated - looks 'wrong' colour for polished stainless, but I could be wrong.

I have a Tite-Mark. I bought it after reading Alf's review (refer link below).

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4110

The Tite-Mark is a great gauge, nice and easy to use. The Rutlands version looks like a pretty close copy so it would probably also be a nice gauge. The round-head screw to hold the blade on the Rutlands version versus the countersunk screw on the Tite-Mark is the main difference I can see.

The Tite-Mark is made in Fort Bragg, surely that's a selling point. :wink:

Just to report that the LN original cutter will fit, so can be used as a spare; so too do the LN mortice gauge cuters. At this price I can afford to buy another just for mortice making.

I'm still pleased with mine. (I should want a great deal more than a stainless stem for an extra 40 quid)

Looks like Axminster will be debuting their own Tite-Mark copy in the new catalogue next month:

Worth a look for £19.99 perhaps?

Also something that looks very similar to the Veritas 3-in-1 gauge:

Only £9.95 for this one.

Cheers,
Neil

I think it is the 3-in-1 gauge. There seem to be quite a few things that I thought were "Lee Valley" rather than "Veritas" and thus not going to be available over here - including some desirable books in the Classic Reprint Series which I'm struggling to resist...

Cheers, Alf

Ah yes - I think you're right. It says 'Made in Canada' in the Axminster blurb. Quite a good price, then, considering the dollar price of $15.75 in your review.

Cheers,
Neil

It's a very nice little gauge and a great way of finding out which style of point you like best :D Wouldn't be without mine for worlds for small tasks.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back