Tite-mark rival from Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling that one might make its way into my next Axminster basket - just to get up to the £45 for free delivery, of course :^o

Cheers,
Neil

Dame you all :roll:
There was me thinking 6 or is it 7 gauges is all I need when you have to go and show me them :shock: #-o ( must walk away, must walk away).

No its not working :roll: :wink:

That's interesting, Neil. Especially seeing how Axminster also sells the Titemark. At least for now.
Colin C":2fv3snvu said:
There was me thinking 6 or is it 7 gauges is all I need when you have to go and show me them ( must walk away, must walk away).

No its not working
Ah, a man with honesty!

6 or 7 gauges, huh? That sounds about right, though. I know I have used 4-5 on a larger project so I didn't need to reset any--and subsequently forget.

But then there are panel gauges, one [or two] which can hold pencils, one with a slicing knife and of coarse one with a pin...

Take care--have fun. Mike

MikeW":1kzjl7nq said:
T

6 or 7 gauges, huh? That sounds about right, though. I know I have used 4-5 on a larger project so I didn't need to reset any--and subsequently forget.

But then there are panel gauges, one [or two] which can hold pencils, one with a slicing knife and of coarse one with a pin...

Take care--have fun. Mike

Hi Mike
At least its not just me :roll:

Ha hum... I don't think anyone can accuse me of not being a sucker when it comes to an apparent tool bargain, can they? Well trust me, they can't. I bought one of the Axminster Tite-A-Likes (TM) last week. :oops: FWIW, it works very well. Evidentally some little Chiwanese fella or fella-ess went all over the real thing with calipers and voila! One almost perfect copy. I say almost, 'cos while it's really very well made it's certainly not a proper Titemark. First the cons:

The machining of the head face and the groove along the bar is a bit rough - on the latter, almost a ratchet adjust feeling to it. I've taken a diamond hone to it and tweaked it a little and it's already much better, Should improve further with wear. The micro adjust seems to be a bit coarser per turn and rather more sloppy than the definite feel you get from the Titemark. It's a shame it's a round head screw holding the cutter on too (despite the cutter itself being countersunk) so I'm hoping to track down a #6 unc countersunk replacement eventually - I won't hold my breath. The back of the head where your finger goes isn't a nice welcoming curve, but the bizarre ogee-ish shape these Chiwanese knock-offs seem to favour. Finally, the knurling's a bit "crisp", so I knocked that back a bit too.

But on the plus side, it looks the biz, it works just fine, it has the nylon grub screw wotsit to tweak the resistance of the head on the bar and the cutter is as hard as nails. In fact it's so hard I'm having trouble sharpening it adequately so may give in and order a Titemark replacement. :-$ But the main thing is it's only £20...

On the whole I reckon if you've already used a Titemark, keep saving for that oh-so perfect tool 'cos the little niggles may well bother you. If you haven't used one but fancy the idea of having a tool that functions just as well and don't have £67 to spare, I think you might rather like one of these Tite-A-Likes (TM).

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3qjhzgtr said:
I bought one of the Axminster Tite-A-Likes (TM) last week. :oops: FWIW, it works very well.
Cheers, Alf

Alf will these mortice cutters from sureline fit the Axminster tite-a-like?
mortice-set.gif

I belive they should do, yer lordship. All the dimensions seem to check out okay and I believe Ivan successfully tried the LN pair of mortise cutters on his Rutlands one (which appears to be identical). They all seem to be much of a muchness in fact. And that's Tite-A-Like (TM)... :wink:

Ploget, oooo no, that wasn't a review. I'm definitely retired from the review business. Just an update, if you will. :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf
A spot on reveiw as always :)

I thing is that now I have read it, I want one now ( not that I have many :roll: )
I guess will be seeing how the bank balance is [-o< :-$

That's it, Alf: The LN cutters fit as if made for the job. As far as I could see the Axminster version is the same as the Rutland I bought, even down to the printing of the blister pack (except for a 'Dakota' flash)

Back