Titanium Plug/dowl Cutters useless ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandads_shed

Established Member
Reaction score
bought these yesterday, i thought great they are titanium coated so should cut fine and last a while .

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 120/p72650

how wrong i was ,, they are so slow to cut in to pine ,,,, they over heat and you have to really lean on them to get them to cut a plug /dowel. takes nearly a minute to cut through 1/2 inch pine
i started with slow speed on a rechargeable drill, trying different speeds, even with a mains drill they will hardly cut, and they over heat ,, the end of the cutter is now black. after cutting 15 dowels/ plugs

can not remember the make but will get it tomorrow.

You need to get yourself a tapered plug cutter, much more efficient than the older style. I've been using one of these for about ten years, they can be sharpened easily enough too.

grandads_shed":2ukhlwg9 said:
bought these yesterday, i thought great they are titanium coated so should cut fine and last a while .

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 120/p72650

how wrong i was ,, they are so slow to cut in to pine ,,,, they over heat and you have to really lean on them to get them to cut a plug /dowel. takes nearly a minute to cut through 1/2 inch pine
i started with slow speed on a rechargeable drill, trying different speeds, even with a mains drill they will hardly cut, and they over heat ,, the end of the cutter is now black. after cutting 15 dowels/ plugs

can not remember the make but will get it tomorrow.

have these from Silverline - agree they are useless (just about 1/2 competent used patiently in a pillar drill), but then again they were cheap.

dance":nnn5q1lk said:
Doug B":nnn5q1lk said:

They look good - but as they're not tapered, I suppose I should ask, what's the advantage? That they fit more snugly?

I have the taper type plug cutter, but i`ve found the slightest movement when cutting the plug ruins the plug & when cutting a lot like the 92 for the bench top below, the ability to quickly cut a lot of plugs is beneficial.

007-7.jpg

Cheers.

Hi guys.
Spend your hard earned cash on quality pellets and buy them pre done in any size you need. You make your money making the Joinery not the Finishing goods.
More cost effective than buying tools that don't work properly or make the size you intended.

thx folks . lots of good reports ,,, im going to try and resharpen the cutting edge to a angle tomorrow before paying out for more expensive cutters ,,
will let you know how i get on ,,

mtr1":3go4d63r said:
You need to get yourself a tapered plug cutter, much more efficient than the older style. I've been using one of these for about ten years, they can be sharpened easily enough too.

I've got the cheap version (no surprise there!) from Axminster. It works very well, but I always use it in a pillar drill. I wouldn't want to try it freehand!

E.

have a set of drill bits by Trend and the matching plug cutters - never had any issue with them. not the cheapest but never had any issues.

HIH

Dibs

Latest posts

Back