• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Tips to make your work go more smoothly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst using my festool saw and guide rail system to rip an 8 foot sheet, I discovered that the saw runs much better if I don't stand on the cable. It's not so much my 16 stone stopping the electricity getting through but the fact that the cable isn't sufficiently elastic to stretch a couple of metres.
John

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are concerned that the light in your fridge does not go out when the door is closed, here is a simple and handy solution - gently drill a small hole in the door. When the door is closed you can now see if the light goes out.

Noel, ex Viz reader....

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Two valuable tips-thank you Gentleman! :roll:
Now where's that cordless drill................
Philly :D

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes indeedy, it's these handy day-to-day tit-bits of advice that make this forum so valuable. Appreciated, chaps. :D My own modest contribution; it helps to install hacksaw blades in the frame so the teeth, so thoughtfully provided by the manufacturer, do the actual cutting. Rather than the back of the blade... Easily overlooked, I'm sure you'll agree. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Hey Philly, didn't I see you somewhere else earlier? :?

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
hey philly is that the drill you cut the power lead off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
if I'd a £ for every joint I've tried to solder with the iron switched off.... sheesh.....

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf
Yes, just broadening my horizons........ :lol:
International Gloatage!
Naughty but Nice!
cheers
Philly :D

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Around here glue is the accepted adhesive for joints!
explains why sparks fly around my work... either that or it's m magnetic personality... :?

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
johnelliott":t0t2v4if said:
Whilst using my festool saw and guide rail system to rip an 8 foot sheet, I discovered that the saw runs much better if I don't stand on the cable. It's not so much my 16 stone stopping the electricity getting through but the fact that the cable isn't sufficiently elastic to stretch a couple of metres.
John
I had exactly the same experience today with my Skilsaw - so it's not just a snobby Festool thing.

A

Anonymous

another tip when pining frames together make sure you have nails in you nail gun otherwise when you go to pick the frame up you leave 3/4 of it on the bench as i found this out the other day i thought i would mention it. Also an electric sander works better pluged in and switched on :lol:

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
anobium punctatum":2drbuhu6 said:
Also an electric sander works better pluged in and switched on :lol:
I have found that my sander works better if I put a sheet of abrasive on the bottom :roll:

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
To Noely.
Next time the fridge stops working check that the switched wall electric socket is still working. I went and purchased a new fridge some years ago and when I plugged it in guess what, the new fridge would not work.

These days quite a few retailers accept returns but at that time it was almost unheard of.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Three times I've cut this piece of wood and it is still too short.

Andy

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Check your stone is flat BEFORE flattening the backs of your spanky new chisels, not afterwards. :?

A

Anonymous

When hoovering up sawdust after a job I find it is helpful to put the vacuum hose in the "suck" opening on the cleaner. It takes rather longer if you accidentally put it into the "blow" opening, and the air turns blue as well.

Andrew

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey John!
I threw away 3 perfectly good jigsaw blades last week because they just wouldn't go through 3/4 ply, whilst i was calming down and have a brief swearing fit in the kitchen LOML moved the workmate off the Jigsaw lead and then cut the sheets up for me...

tx2man

Established Member
Reaction score
When routing with a collar, i find it's best not to try and save elecktrikery,
by setting the plunge depth so far as to stop the collet nut turning,
causing an indoor firework show.

TX

Hey Alf, was Philly on one of those sites :oops:

G

I found a new way to save time yesterday. When using a hedgetrimmer it saves time if you don't cut through the cable.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
When re-assembling your handplanes after sharpening, place the blade slightly proud of the cap iron, not the cap iron slightly proud of the blade.

The first method ensures a clean smooth cut. The second gives a more lumpy finish, not unlike you might expect from planing balsa wood with a spoon.

Hope that helps.