Time bandits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it just us? every time me or mr.s plans to go in the workshop the phone rings and it is garanteed to be someone needing our help for something ... and they need it NOW!
I quite often work a few shifts in a row then have upto 8 off.
I plan well!! I think of anything that may need doing and SQUEEZE it in on work days so I then have 8 days of time I can speand in the workshop if I want to! this EVER happen?? .. not on your nelly!!!
is it just us? :?:

It's known as Sods Law. I find the 'phone rings every time I get into the shower. If I don't answer it, it's usually something important. If I do answer it, it's usually someone trying to sell double glazing. I think most of us suffer from it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes, it happens to me too - it's usually someone trying to sell me a mobile phone contract :twisted: If I don't answer it it's usually something important so I then have to phone them back at my expense and I end up waiting on hold which wastes even more time.

Equally frustrating is when you are expecting someone to call so you wait around and then they don't phone, so you give up waiting and the second you start working the phone rings. :roll:

Davy

I too suffer all the above - thank goodness there are others, I was beginnig to think that it was just our household being targeted :x

Paul Have you thought of inviting the double glazing nuisances in to build you a double glazed shower? Then if its as good as they say keeping noise out you wont hear the pesky phone :) Did see a shower cubicle the other day with a telephone built in - how sad

Tony

I loathe the 'phone - it's so rude. It never waits until it's a good moment, just breaks right in and demands attention now. I'm afraid I've taken to letting the blasted thing ring and leave it to the Evil BT Woman to catch it on 1571 - on a good day we might not get the message for a week... :wink: Hey, if it's really important they'll try again anyway.

If the double glazing folks are getting to you, someone posted a link to a site where you can register your number and stop 'em. Naturally I can't recall it #-o but it does seem to work. That and go ex-directory.

Cheers, Alf

You need to register with the Telephone Preference Service.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Its free by the way. And it works. I can't actually recollect the last time I had a sales call.

Adam

Welcome to TPS Online.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organisations, including charities and voluntary organisations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

You can either do this by contacting companies directly and asking them not to call you or you can register with a central register - the TPS.

Adam":1aubt0ph said:
You need to register with the Telephone Preference Service.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Its free by the way. And it works. I can't actually recollect the last time I had a sales call.
As Adam says it does work. Although we are just beginning to get a few sneaking through - I wonder if they have found a way around the service or have our number via a different source?
Tony

If they are calling from outside the UK the TPS can't do anything to stop them. It does stop most other sales calls though, and if they do get through and you tell them you are signed up with the TPS they are usually very polite and don't call again.

Davy

Alf":3slk6df9 said:
if it's really important they'll try again anyway.

Alf

I couldn't agree more, and has been my philosophy for a long time now. The got-to-stay-in-touch-24/7-nomatterwhat mobile phone brigade find it annoying though.
Mind you, winding up people who think it's perfectly acceptable to start a conversation and then return a text message half way through is just a perk in my book.

Sorry......rant over.

Mark

I heard something amusing once to do with pestering DG/insurance/loans type phone nuisances. When they call, talk for a few seconds then suddenly say oh no, I dont believe it, the baby's just filled his nappy. I'll just have to get the wife to sort him out, she's having a bath, can you just wait a minute......and leave them to it. :lol: :lol:

TonyW":26g5l6it said:
:) Did see a shower cubicle the other day with a telephone built in - how sad

Tony

We have got one of those 8)

Ironical thing is no one has ever rung whilst I've been in the shower :twisted:

Andy

andys wood shed":ew3j3kif said:
TonyW":ew3j3kif said:
:) Did see a shower cubicle the other day with a telephone built in - how sad

Tony

We have got one of those 8)

Ironical thing is no one has ever rung whilst I've been in the shower :twisted:

Andy

Oops! #-o No offence intended Andy. I am sure it could be very handy at times - I wonder what the caller would make of the sound of a shower running?

TonyW":c8ydbse9 said:
Oops! #-o No offence intended Andy. I am sure it could be very handy at times - I wonder what the caller would make of the sound of a shower running?

None taken mate :wink:

But you can guarantee I'm in the gents when my mobile rings :lol:

Andy

Back