Timber suppliers in South East

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyman

Reaction score
Hello, I found your site by chance, looking for a non-existent Tilgear website! So pleasantly surprized, I bought a programme - I joined.

Anyway, my query, I have to make up some shelves to fit into a proprietary set of lounge furniture. Problem is the timber I need is 'poplar' or 'tulipwood', not the real m'coy but the commercially used timber that uses this collective name. I need about 2 or 3 cu. ft. in old money, planked at 1".

Does anybody know of a good source of this timber in the South East, Sussex, Kent or Surrey? All my regular suppliers have drawn a blank or have not a clue what I am talking about. I used to use some of the timberyards in East London, but sadly now they have all moved.

Handyman

Welcome to the forum handyman

Try South London Hardwoods, I have an order in with them for about 4cu ft of tulipwood (poplar) at the moment, they can usually get it in in a few days.

Or there is W L West though I have not used them myself.

A couple of other members have extensive lists of suppliers, I expect they will be along later.

Jason

welcome to the forum handyman

where abouts are you located ?

Hi Wizer, thanks for the welcome.
I live in Crowborough, East Sussex and my workshop is in Horsmonden. I used to run a small joinery business - Yewtree Joinery - until last year, making bespoke joinery products and furniture but I only do it as a hobby now, albeit with industrial machinery, most running on 3-ph. I have a nice large, cold workshop.

I checked out the price of tulipwood at SL Woods. I am used to buying timber in quantity and gall at the prices the DIYer has to pay, but I also think the timber trade in this country has changed.

Prior to moving to East Sussex, I ran a furniture making company in East London, with a staff of twenty. I used to buy timber by the pallet or container load and we used tulipwood for fillers and battens.

Handyman

Back