Timber stockists in South Staffordshire?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevanf1

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I wonder if anybody can advise me on a real problem I've found. I live in South Staffordshire and for some reason we seem to thin on the ground where good timber stockists are concerned.

I need to build myself a new workbench. Ok, no trouble.. but I want to use beech as the wood. I've used softwood in the past and as good as it is it does tend to give very quickly no matter how good the joints. But can I find a timber merchant who stocks beech??? No chance.

So, can anybody recommend a timber merchant who has a good range of hardwoods (including beech) who is not too far from Stafford town centre? I'm actually about 10 miles South of Stafford but I use that as a reference point.

Thank you.

Another view of the suppliers world is Here, although I don't have any nearer than those already referred to.

Hi guys. Thank you for both the welcome to the forum and the advice re:wood suppliers. I shall check them all out over the next few days and let you know what I find.

I'm very much an amateur woodworker and at the tender age of 44 I'm jsut discovering my love for working with wood. I did the woodwork thing at school attempting and failing dismally to make such things as spice racks ro some odd miniature totem pole. Part of the problem, I know realise, was the fact that hardly any of the tools were sharp (in my mind a cutting edge tool should be sharp otherwise it's dangerous) and those that were we couldn't use!!! Add to that the teacher was too busy trying to ridicule our efforts and praise teh very few he favoured. Not a good start really. Anyway, I hope to make up for it now :)

Hi everybody. A little follow up to yesterday appeal for hardwood stockists. A member of Walsall Freecycle Cafe put me onto a timber yard in Walsall (West Midlands). Fletcher's of Queen Street, Walsall can get me either beech or oak in pretty much whatever size I want :) It's a bit pricey but at least I have a local supplier. I've been quoted £11.52 for an 8' length of 2" x 2" (unplaned size).

I have also been told about a reclamation yard somewhere in the Cannock area. As yet I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone but, it could be another source. I don't mind using reclaimed on this job as it is for a new workbench.

So, thank you for the advice given and expect to see me back on here 8)

Cheers Colin. I've been given another compnaies name in Uttoxeter as well, it's a well served place for timber stockists that's for sure :) Thank you.

Latest posts

Back