Timber Sourcing - North West

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianN

Reaction score
I am new to making items and am looking for a good supplier of timbers ( maple,oak etc ) who will supply in quantities suitable for the shed workshop woodworker. Initially it will be small quantities for the making of trinket boxes etc but later could be larger quantities as am aiming to start up a small part-time business.Could anyone advise on a recommended supplier in the north west who can fulfill my requirements.Thanks :D

Brian

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with suppliers in the North West, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with advice.

Hi there Brain and welcome

The people here are amazingly helpful and if you've any question later on about woodworking I'm sure someone will help ...... I'm realively new to this as well and this forum has been an invaluble aid (thanks to all)

anyhow back to your question regarding suppliers in the north west

My first batch of hardwood involved a trip to yorkshire as I was struggling to find someone local at first ........ However I've found a couple of places resently

the first is Page and Taylor in Preston...........HERE
I've only been once so far and the service was good but I was only buying pine for a quick job I had to do ....... They do Hard wood as well but I've not look at that shed yet

The second one is
Hoghton Timber
Unit 3-4, Higher Walton Trading Estate, Cann Bridge St, Higher Walton, Preston, Lancashire PR5 4DJ
Tel: 01772 323566
This one has no website and is inbetween Preston and Blackburn

When I phone them the stated that they only do hard woods (I was looking for pine at the time). I've not been to this on yet but I will be doing at some point as I drive past it everyday to and from work

Ohter than that try geting a few numbers from the yellow pages and give a few a ring

Hope this is of help

Ian

P.S. Chris if you see this can you add the page and taylor link to the map please

Thanks to all the replies , yes this is a very helpful site and i hope i can help others in the future as you have done once my skills and experience increase. Once again thanks for the help. :D

Brian, if you locate a supplier who meets your needs and gives good service let us know so that we can make a note.

Poor service or materials supplied is also worth noting even if it only steers others to be more cautious in using source.

HDL (Waterhouse) Ltd
Tel: 0161 8725111
Trafford Park Rd, Trafford Pk, Manchester, M17 1WH

Timber merchants

Deeside Sawmills, Mickle Trafford Nr. Chester

I have used Hoghton Timber on a number of occasions - good selection - very helpful commands a high price!

Page and Taylor is a about the best for joinery grade pine etc in Preston

You might try Mike England Timber Co Ltd
Brindle Mill, Bournes Row, Hoghton, Preston, Lancashire PR5 0DR
Tel: 01254 852151

Back