timber price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my stepdaughters has indefinite leave to remain, and as I understand it, she is entitled to "be in employment status over 24 months", so I would be interested to see where you read that.
You misread what I wrote.

to KEEP RIGHTS you have rules that’s apply.

PS. I checked, for for Limited is 2 years “activity”, and for Indefinite is 5 years “activity”in UK. Of one of them is being in “employment status” that include job seeking for example.

All information are available on GOV.UK. When I finish all work I have to do, I might have tone to find documentation from Hone Office what is needed to successfully keep hold of this given right.

You misread what I wrote.

to KEEP RIGHTS you have rules that’s apply.

PS. I checked, for for Limited is 2 years “activity”, and for Indefinite is 5 years “activity”in UK. Of one of them is being in “employment status” that include job seeking for example.

All information are available on GOV.UK. When I finish all work I have to do, I might have tone to find documentation from Hone Office what is needed to successfully keep hold of this given right.

example is the Dutch ex-residents Jamaican family, father convicted drug dealer had permanent residency for him and his children, however not able to have Settlement Status, so whole family was deported or waiting to be…

Fair enough. In my defence, it wasn't very clear. I still don't really understand what you're saying.
Still, whatever it is, it's probably not going to bring timber prices down.

hehe probably, You’re right on that one 😂😂😂
And apologise for off topic 😁

Of course it isn't - you can't "remain" somewhere you aren't.
Oh dear.

Both convey permission to reside in the country either temporarily or permanently. It was perfectly legal to apply for either temporary or indefinate leave to remain from outside the UK, and they were awarded depending on your status and if you fulfilled the criteria.

Upon brexit, all EU citizens who had been granted a UK resident permit beforehand were required to re-apply for leave to remain and this could be done legally from outside the UK, hence the high number of applications from outside the UK.

I think that's enough to explain it clearly and I rest my case 'yer honour!

Lumber merchants I've talked to mainly blamed the lack of staff and lorry drivers. All the ports are clogged up, even if supply has bounced back they can't get enough product. Compounded with a spike in demand due to everyone working from home and kicking off DIY.

Oh dear.

Both convey permission to reside in the country either temporarily or permanently. It was perfectly legal to apply for either temporary or indefinate leave to remain from outside the UK, and they were awarded depending on your status and if you fulfilled the criteria.

Upon brexit, all EU citizens who had been granted a UK resident permit beforehand were required to re-apply for leave to remain and this could be done legally from outside the UK, hence the high number of applications from outside the UK.

I think that's enough to explain it clearly and I rest my case 'yer honour!
If they do not have “activities” in UK, fir more than 2 years on Limited Rights, and over 5 years on Indefinite, they going to loose all Rights, and status ifs to everyone terminated.

The reason is the “permanent residency” based on EU laws, which is now terminated by Brexit.
All together there is no rights to PENSION CREDITS, which was given based on that rights. DWP savings :)

Lumber merchants I've talked too mainly blamed the lack of staff and lorry drivers. All the Ports are clogged up, even if supply has bounced back they can't get enough product. Compounded with a spike in demand due to everyone working from home and kicking off DIY.
Remember that whole building industry completing roofs the same time after lockdown…. And fitting PCV double glazing windows - all at once.

Remember that whole building industry completing roofs the same time after lockdown…. And fitting PCV double glazing windows - all at once.
I’m a bit confused by this claim and how PCV double glazed Windows impact the price of timber? My wife is a director of a small regional housebuilder and they were doing a lot of other stuff rather than just completing roofs or fitting PCV (or PVC) windows after lockdown.

I’m a bit confused by this claim and how PCV double glazed Windows impact the price of timber? My wife is a director of a small regional housebuilder and they were doing a lot of other stuff rather than just completing roofs or fitting PCV (or PVC) windows after lockdown.

I don’t know what to say 🤔😆
Yes, a timber goes for roofing, glass goes into windows ;)

edit: but I can see the point. Domestic use, or small business, is nothing when comparing it to whole of building industry making/finishing houses the same time after lockdown.

Last edited:
We are not alone in timber shortages and price increases. A very quick search shows the same is happening in Germany, France, US to name but 3.

UK will also have suffered from Brexit, but Covid is a common issue. Processes going from tree, to sawn and planed is complex - cut down tree, transport to sawmill, kiln dry, resaw to required sizes, transport to ports, then to constructon site, builders merchant and stores.

This needs people who are not locked down, ill etc. Building projects planned and in progress in March 2020 have all been delayed and need completion. Even if timber processors could have processed more lumber, they would have had neither the confidence nor cash flow to do so.

I suspect the demand spike will be resolved over the coming 6-9 months as supply catches up with a return to some stability. That major projects are impacting prices is no surprise - why delay projects worth millions for the sake of a timber price hike of thousands.

Can't understand it...as most soft wood comes from NON EU countries anyway....ie Russia and Finland.

Ummm......... Finland has been a member of the EU since 1995. Being in the EU doesn't protect you from greed. Here in Ireland I paid €34 each for some polycarbonate roof panels last April, now they are €125 ☹ I refuse to pay the barstewarts and will postpone the job until the prices come back down.

Ummm......... Finland has been a member of the EU since 1995. Being in the EU doesn't protect you from greed. Here in Ireland I paid €34 each for some polycarbonate roof panels last April, now they are €125 ☹ I refuse to pay the barstewarts and will postpone the job until the prices come back down.

Free market & capitalism :) customer wants, customer pays.
Big have special discounts, small pay for that special discounts in hike prices.

The people of the wrong side of the pond are saying that prices are to fall soon since “timber futures” are dumping.
Assuming futures will match real economy and assuming yards and mills will ease on prices without being forced (by oversupply or regulation, ie)
Yes on the futures - they dropped through the floor long ago. After that occurs, it's just a matter of the spot market catching up again (of course, the spot is very good at tracking the futures early when the futures price goes up) "we have to be able to pay for the next load!"

And slow on the other side "we have to pay for the expensive inventory"

Wait, you just accounted for the expensive load twice and forgot the cheap one.

I'd like to have residence in a house that's so large and owned by someone so wealthy that they wouldn't know or care that spouse, kids and I live there, or that I use the tooling and maintenance shop for a hobby.

AT no cost to me, of course, and perhaps I could lift some petty cash here and there to put in my own retirement account and pay for my things.

I'd like to have residence in a house that's so large and owned by someone so wealthy that they wouldn't know or care that spouse, kids and I live there, or that I use the tooling and maintenance shop for a hobby.

AT no cost to me, of course, and perhaps I could lift some petty cash here and there to put in my own retirement account and pay for my things.
Oh,thinking of going into politics are we? 🤣

Regarding timber prices: I've been in Italy this summer and price of timber (sheet goods or construction grade timber) is only marginally higher than before.
In general, shops and supermarkets are full to the brim with all sorts of goods, local and imported, so no shortage of hauliers or products.
I assume in 6-9 months timber prices here will go down too, but in general I assume low stock of imported goods will persists as UK customs are going to be swamped for a long time because of inefficiencies and new red tape added by brexit.

P.S.: I think the brexit issue (and to be fair politics in general) has become too polarised as the voters are deeply divided - a bit like à la USA - so I think there's not much to discuss in a constructive way, especially in forums or social media. However, I would like to invite everyone taking part in this debate to please please get informed as much as you can, through official and trustworthy channels. The issue may be polarised, but it still deserves to be fully understood because of its importance.

Oh,thinking of going into politics are we? 🤣

I hadn't even been thinking about that, but maybe I'm under-aiming.

I could up the price of the food then, and get all kinds of free stuff and maybe let my kids sell some half million dollar "art".

Back