timber price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very easy to blame brexit, but haulages knew the possibility that EU drivers could return home, and they would have had plenty of time to train drivers, to replace them, covid may have speeded up the exodus but there was still enough time to train drivers before covid hit

very easy to blame brexit, but haulages knew the possibility that EU drivers could return home, and they would have had plenty of time to train drivers, to replace them, covid may have speeded up the exodus but there was still enough time to train drivers before covid hit

I have a bit more empathy perhaps with hauliers. My recollection is that it was very difficult to predict what was going to happen and indeed the official line was that EU workers would stay.

Interestingly it seems that there is an EU wide shortage of drivers which leaves me wondering where all our drivers went.

Isn't it similar to the fruit picking situation? UK residents aren't interested in being HGV drivers?

It seems the bigger companies with their own lorries are doing ok and the smaller outfits are having to put their prices up further to cover the cost of freight.

Lathams have 2x12 Southern yellow pine at £17/m delivered and Moss want nearly double plus £30 for delivery.

Moss are expensive, but they let you select your own and will sell a short length. Plus they carry bits and bobs of bijou timber species for the lignin connoisseur.

... the official line was that EU workers would stay.

Interestingly it seems that there is an EU wide shortage of drivers which leaves me wondering where all our drivers went.

Six million EU nationals applied for residency - there were only thought to be two million here.
And yes, if they're all at home why have their homes have shortages?
On the radio the other day a driver went to a large depot where they had major hold ups because 63 drivers had been pinged. This, strikes and the general incompetence at the DVLA have a lot to do with the problem.

Can't understand it...as most soft wood comes from NON EU countries anyway....ie Russia and Finland....
practically all is shipped by boat.....
So this blaming Brexit is all bxxxxks.....
it's just the greedy middle men again....
If u think wood is expensive, try buying it here.....
Just found a guy who takes his big truck from Crete to the mainland and just loads it to the max.....apprently wood is about 5 times cheaper on the mailand....
Well, all trade agreements were made by EU for all EU member to benefit. Now UK must secure deal, but.. no one is talking about green tickets adding value to Pound starting from now, as Honda stop selling diesel/petrol cars next year, trade with UK will be more competitive than with EU, while going throw World Bank.

Fair point - but it would still lead me to think there were way more here than was thought.
There really should be a system for counting people in and out - no work permit system could work without it.

Actually, it is Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) so if people who weren't here were applying for it the application was fraudulent. You can't remain somewhere you aren't.

Six million EU nationals applied for residency - there were only thought to be two million here.
And yes, if they're all at home why have their homes have shortages?
On the radio the other day a driver went to a large depot where they had major hold ups because 63 drivers had been pinged. This, strikes and the general incompetence at the DVLA have a lot to do with the problem.
The 2 million (1.6 + 0.37) number, is the number of skilled workers and benefit takers leaving UK due economical shift…
Well, it did happened before, and capitalism worked :)

Fair point - but it would still lead me to think there were way more here than was thought.
There really should be a system for counting people in and out - no work permit system could work without it.

Actually, it is Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) so if people who weren't here were applying for it the application was fraudulent. You can't remain somewhere you aren't.
I can apply for Danish residency from the UK if I wish, because I fulfill the criteria. And my family can do the same from Denmark, there's nothing fraudulent about it at all.

I can apply for Danish residency from the UK if I wish, because I fulfill the criteria. And my family can do the same from Denmark, there's nothing fraudulent about it at all.
All you need to do is to pay 15-30k annually for full time degree, own house/flat, or simply fill get hold of this forever-waiting work place British complain about taking their benefits 😂

why are timber prices so high at the moment can not believe they have doubled

free market - no one mention that demand is high due to market was shut for year to finish all ~700.000 new houses, which no one will be able to buy, so ultra rich going to take it for half price into their housing association investments, than rent it out in times of inflation, and when they pump prices up after drying market, become even more ultra rich….

do you also mean council tax, income tax, and vat are the same but just different name ??
You just pay it, why to care for details, right ?

😂

I'm not getting your drift I'm afraid.
Residency acts of law comes from EU and are permanent as per “you live here and like to stay that way”;
UK “Right to remain” you have right to stay as long as you keep RIGHTS to do so, if not, you are hunted down by HM Home Office and HM Borger Agency to be expelled from UK on your cost.
One of them is to not be in employment status over 24 months…. Regardless of Limited or Indefinite.

Rights are given and taken as admin power see it fit.

PS. UK Passport and British second citizenship can be taken away too 🙄

so my analogy to taxes: ALL DIFFERENCES ARE IN DETAILS….

Residency acts of law comes from EU and are permanent as per “you live here and like to stay that way”;
UK “Right to remain” you have right to stay as long as you keep RIGHTS to do so, if not, you are hunted down by HM Home Office and HM Borger Agency to be expelled from UK on your cost.
One of them is to not be in employment status over 24 months…. Regardless of Limited or Indefinite.

Rights are given and taken as admin power see it fit.

PS. UK Passport and British second citizenship can be taken away too 🙄

so my analogy to taxes: ALL DIFFERENCES ARE IN DETAILS….
One of my stepdaughters has indefinite leave to remain, and as I understand it, she is entitled to "be in employment status over 24 months", so I would be interested to see where you read that.
She's not EU, but US, maybe that's different...

Back