Timber Dryers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to the forum but have been doing turning for a few years now, but find I'm having trouble sourcing good dry timber in the large size and quantity I want, so was thinking about getting a timber dryer. Does anybody out there know anything about these machines and suppliers.

Would be grateful for any info

timj

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry that I can't help with your question, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon.

Cheers
Neil

Welcome to the forum, timj. Is something like Arrowsmiths what you have in mind? With the rain falling as it is at the moment I'd be tempted to live in one... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

timj

Welcome.

There have been some articles in the magazines (American ones mostly) on making solar and dehumidifier kilns over the last year or two. Over the years they have all had articles at some point so a search of their online archives would give you some information.

For a start look for Issue #159, Dec 2006 of Popular Woodworking and Issue #124, Oct 2006 of American Woodworker.
Those two were for solar kilns and Issue #99 of Woodwork for a dehumidifying kiln.

Links to some reading.

http://www.cfquesnel.com/nhi/Content/Section5/5_5.htm

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?board=8.0

I once owned an Ebac LD82, a model designed by John Arrowsmith before he went off to set-up his own business. The main conclusion I had was that it was worth the money only if I had a load in the dryer all the time. I was finding that a lot of the stiff I bought was quite poor so in the end when I needed the space it went. I am quite interested in solar kilns - they're cheaper to build than buying a dehumidifier kiln, work almost as fast, but cost pennies to run. Here is a four part super article on different techniques for solar drying:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

It's a lot of reading, but one day, when I ghahave the space again, it's the way I'll go

Scrit

thanks scrit i now have info on the way from arrowsmith and ebac and will post when i decide.

just thought i would let you know have ordered a arrowsmith dryer could only find two on the web and as the ebac one was about 3-4 times as expensive there was only one choice, again manythanks for the info

Scrit,

Thanks very much for posting those links, it looks like a good read.

I do wonder about their opening phrase
Solar energy is an abundant energy source throughout most of the world
and whether ir might apply to here as well, but somehow I doubt it :D

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back