Timber costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekno.mage

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some idea of cost per cubic meter for different native timbers (ash, oak, sycamore, larch etc) and am having trouble finding any online suppliers who list this info. I've found one with a 2008 price list online, and several who only show prices either in cubic feet (duh!) or in square feet for different board thicknesses.

I'm helping a friend with prototyping some furniture designs and we are using some larch I already have for the prototypes, but want to get a rough idea of material cost for alternative woods.

Any idea where I can find such info?

tekno.mage":2hz3dmj5 said:
I'm trying to get some idea of cost per cubic meter for different native timbers (ash, oak, sycamore, larch etc) and am having trouble finding any online suppliers who list this info. I've found one with a 2008 price list online, and several who only show prices either in cubic feet (duh!) or in square feet for different board thicknesses.

I'm helping a friend with prototyping some furniture designs and we are using some larch I already have for the prototypes, but want to get a rough idea of material cost for alternative woods.

Any idea where I can find such info?

Why not just use the cubic foot info? Just type "cubic meters to cubic feet" in to Google to find out that 1 cubic metre = 35.3146667 cubic feet

I'll probably end up doing just that, Roger :lol: In my searches I've now found companies pricing in mixed metric/imperial too - ie board thickness in mm and prices per cubic foot!

Presumably by 'native' - you mean English ?

In my experience you may have problems getting English......or at least decent stuff at half reasonable prices in any quantities.

Merchants that can supply English in kiln-dried will normally stick a horrible premium on it. Smaller yards that are often quite reasonable ( at least up here ) have limited supply and it's mostly air-dried of variable quality.

I can get English Oak in 2" w/edge at £12/cu ft air dried for folding money - but I also buy European 1" Oak at £31 - 2 s/edge kiln dried delivered inc' vat in quantity because I need the continuity of stock and the more uniform quality.

Chris.

Back