Timber auctions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawdust=manglitter":3opjn6pl said:
They were never going anywhere with how i strapped them in (and how much), but i know i shouldn't have done it really. It was fine though, but i wont be doing that again in a hurry!

You were probably lucky the "boys in blue" weren't looking to get their tally of charges up for the month! Pretty sure that overhang is illegal (though I've done similar :? )

dickm":1ytl7qbd said:
You were probably lucky the "boys in blue" weren't looking to get their tally of charges up for the month! Pretty sure that overhang is illegal (though I've done similar :? )

Had 2 police cars overtake me and had no problem, but I know the overhang was bordering on the silly!! I wasn't exactly a planned purchase... next time I'll be going prepared

Actually... how do most (of the non-professional) folks get their wood home from the timber yard?
I keep looking at the Citroen C4 here and wondering how the heck you could get 8x4 sheets or 16' lengths of hardwood home using it and I'm just not having any bright ideas.

I just have to get my timber cut to fit in my car. A bit of a pain, as it reduces the flexibility of being able to cut a max size down to what's needed, but not much else I can do. I can fit 2.4 metre boards in and 1 metre wide sheets

MarkDennehy":376t53hz said:
Actually... how do most (of the non-professional) folks get their wood home from the timber yard?
I keep looking at the Citroen C4 here and wondering how the heck you could get 8x4 sheets or 16' lengths of hardwood home using it and I'm just not having any bright ideas.

Roof-rack.

I remember going to a timber auction over 20 years ago and bidding on a fairly small lot (less than £10) ....when I went to load it in the car I realised it also included the 'huge' oak beams the lot was resting on. I remember that my circular saw at full depth cut from both sides still couldn't cut it through and it needed a handsaw to finish. Each beam was worth more than the lot bid price.

Always see the whole lot!

Dave

Very very lucky you didn't get pulled over! Think it's 1 metre sticking out the back before you need some sort of flag or I think flashing light these day!!! Or having someone smash into you by not seeing it.

Anyway, enough digging you in the ribs. You got it home safe and sound, very well done.

I've not been up to Pugh's yet but a joiner friend does and he always comes back with some delightful goodies. I may be sending my big bandsaw up there sometime soon to sell.

Good luck with your haul

The July auction at Pugh's is always a good one if you are buying. IIRC this is the second year that they've run one in July. Never that well attended by buyers in my experience. A lot of old folk out for the day but a paucity of serious buyers. You probably got yourself a deal !

RogerS":6ajjdikx said:
The July auction at Pugh's is always a good one if you are buying. IIRC this is the second year that they've run one in July. Never that well attended by buyers in my experience. A lot of old folk out for the day but a paucity of serious buyers. You probably got yourself a deal !

Yes, i got some decent bargains there!! What's the turnout normally like in the January one?

Jake":ks19yqln said:
Roof-rack.
Even better (IMHO) are the proper Thule roofbars on the Golf estate. They clamp firmly to the built-in longitudinal rails and are pretty rigid. Being sensible, you can take 4 m length without illegal overhang, though I usually tie some red/white warning tape on the back end. Supposed not to exceed 60kg according to the Golf spec, but I suspect the two oak posts I took back to MK from Pugh's on the roof of previous Golf were probably pretty near or even over that limit.

Sawdust=manglitter":1k4yocm2 said:
RogerS":1k4yocm2 said:

Yes, i got some decent bargains there!! What's the turnout normally like in the January one?

Usually you have to squeeze your way through the crowd in the auction room. Plus many others waiting outside, and down the end by the door and browsing in the adjacent room that they also will fill with wood for auction (typically 300 lots for wood in the January auction). If this year was anything like last year's July sale then you would have found it fairly easy to walk around due to the small crowd.

For some reason, they've not posted up July's results. Possibly because, from a seller's perspective the prices were dire and so they'd hardly like to publicise this. Last year's July sale results are not there either.

MarkDennehy":1fpcaxfw said:

The last car I had, I made some bearers out of 4 x 2 roughly 4 ft 6" long - which were fitted to my roof bars - width-wise. I had cut out a rebate just over 4ft or 1220 mm whichever is your flavour..into which the boards would drop where they could then be securely strapped down.

RogerS":2zcqxp4b said:
Usually you have to squeeze your way through the crowd in the auction room. Plus many others waiting outside, and down the end by the door and browsing in the adjacent room that they also will fill with wood for auction (typically 300 lots for wood in the January auction). If this year was anything like last year's July sale then you would have found it fairly easy to walk around due to the small crowd.

For some reason, they've not posted up July's results. Possibly because, from a seller's perspective the prices were dire and so they'd hardly like to publicise this. Last year's July sale results are not there either.

If you were interested, as the tools were available for online bidding the results of the tools are here:
https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalog ... working-e/

I stayed in Ledbury on the Friday night, so I viewed everything on the Friday afternoon, which I'm glad I did as it was pretty busy on the Saturday morning before the auction! But sounds like the January auction is the busiest one. Still sounds worth a gander though.

I'm not sure what load length I can fit in the car probably 2.5m? However I just lob anything on the roof. My rack is perms antsy on and there are always ratchet straps in on of the boot cubby so it's never an issue. Several sheets of 8x4 travel just fine. All I do have to do to have a strap from the front to stop them lifting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back