Timber auctions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently went to the HJ Pugh auction for the first time, and it will not be my last time!! I kinda went home with more than anticipated...
16f6294af253555044dbaef7a1b73fa4.jpg

A hairy drive home to West Wales to say the least! I'll definitely be taking something bigger than my car next time!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good timber auctions where you can pick up a good bargain? Particularly some nice slabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a smart looking tractor, much 'sportier' than the ones up here. :-D

PM'd you as the last 'advert' was frowned upon. ;-)

Thanks Naz, just received it now.

The misses wouldn't let me bring the horse and cart so ended up bringing the next best thing. She wasn't too pleased to be sat behind me for the journey home either :lol:

What timber did you get?

A few years ago there was a glut of auctions when a lot of antique restoration businesses shut up shop and auctioned off all their lovely boards of Rosewood, Satinwood, Cuban Mahogany, and other unobtainable treasures. More recently there was a fine midlands timber yard that closed down and auctioned off some nice stuff, and I think Bodies held a closing down auction but I didn't get to that one.

Auctions are fun aren't they, but I have to sit on my hands sometimes to stop getting carried away!

Edit: Thinking about it maybe auctions aren't always fun, given there's sometimes a pretty sad story behind them.

custard":1vkre3wp said:
What timber did you get?

A few years ago there was a glut of auctions when a lot of antique restoration businesses shut up shop and auctioned off all their lovely boards of Rosewood, Satinwood, Cuban Mahogany, and other unobtainable treasures. More recently there was a fine midlands timber yard that closed down and auctioned off some nice stuff, and I think Bodies held a closing down auction but I didn't get to that one.

Auctions are fun aren't they, but I have to sit on my hands sometimes to stop getting carried away!

Edit: Thinking about it maybe auctions aren't always fun, given there's sometimes a pretty sad story behind them.

Thinking about it you're right there, it did seem to be stuff from someone's estate.

Anyway, got myself a load of 1" and 2" oak planks which were pre-planed and actually worked out cheaper than rough sawn! Also got a couple of chunky planks of Ash and a cherry one, some cherry rounds and this nice little 2" slab of oak perfect for a coffee table once it's dried out..
e62a528c038a62cb88e1ddb570bf361b.jpg

I also picked up a few tools, but now i've got the bug for a bargain and looking for timber for future projects!!

custard":krgiwtvn said:
Blimey! :shock:

Never been to rural Wales then, I see? :-D

Most locals would say he wasn't really trying. :mrgreen:

Good haul, you should be well pleased.

Coffee table is a wise choice as the crotch Oak slab should pretty much stay as it is. Nothing to do with aesthetics, but try and take a PAR square section out of it and it'll likely turn into a Curly Wurly bar! Emulsion or wax the end grain to minimise any propagation of the splits, then it's at least a year per inch drying plus a full summer. Doubt it'll ever be all that stable (you should see how crotch veneers pucker in storage) so might be a good idea to work with the wood and plan on a three legged coffee table design!

English Cherry is a lovely timber to work with, you often get a "Paul Smith" striped effect with green and yellow tones that you rarely find in American Cherry. English Cherry has a reputation as a worm magnet, not a problem in a centrally heated house, but some makers knock off the sap early in the drying process to make it less attractive to woodworm in the first place. You rarely find English cherry in the bigger timber yards, but the small guys often have some and it's not expensive. Oil it and in ten years it'll be the best patinated furniture in your home.

Check your Ash carefully, there's always the off chance at least some of it will have ripple figure, and if you do find rippled Ash it's usually a better, tighter ripple figure than the more common rippled Sycamore.

Sourcing your own timbers like you've done adds, oooh, about 500% to the enjoyment of woodworking!

Good luck!

Yes, I was pleased. But with the lot of 2 chunky planks of Ash, while I was keeping an eye on the tool auction I looked over and the biggest and thicker plank had disappeared!?! It's was the main one I wanted too, someone had walked off with it!!

Excuse my ignorance Custard, but what's a PAR square section? And I've already sealed the ends (of everything) with melted candle wax. I won't be rushing to make the coffee table, I want to make sure that it's ready. It wasn't too bad at around 18% MC already anyway, but need it dryer.

No idea what I'll use the cherry for yet, but it seemed a good idea at the time!

And with the ash, I got it for the workbench I'm making, going to use it for the ends of the top and as vice jaws.

And yes, it does add to the enjoyment... Hence wanting to know about other auctions :)

Sawdust=manglitter":2pqptnc9 said:
I recently went to the HJ Pugh auction for the first time, and it will not be my last time!! I kinda went home with more than anticipated...
16f6294af253555044dbaef7a1b73fa4.jpg

A hairy drive home to West Wales to say the least! I'll definitely be taking something bigger than my car next time!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good timber auctions where you can pick up a good bargain? Particularly some nice slabs

Nice, but I think you were nuts to drive back like that

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

They were never going anywhere with how i strapped them in (and how much), but i know i shouldn't have done it really. It was fine though, but i wont be doing that again in a hurry!

Anyway, anyone know of any other timber auctions??

For East Devon try MST Auctions. This Tuesday 25th Timber/ Machinery/ Tools.
They usually have Woodworking related stuff every month.

Back