Timber advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrek

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been given the base of a very old beech tree. Its about the length of a long wheel base landrover, 7 ft wide and 6 ft high. It has a good amount of spalting already but mainly within about 6 inches of the bark.
I have to cut it up soon as its in a field and in the way.
Could anyone offer any advice as to how to cut this up please and also how best to encourage more spalting to the inner sections of the tree as i do not want to waste any.
Its at my Father in Laws in Ireland and will in reality take me a few trips to bring it back to the uk, but i can store it there as long as i move it.
I was going to cut the deepest i can into the tree which would be about 45 cms and the same downwards, but can extebd the cut a lot more length wise. I intend to make primarily bowls and platters.
Thanks in advance of any replies

Shrek

hello and welcome shrek

By the sounds of what you've got you'd be best to hire a portable sawmill or a chainsaw mill...but if thats not possible when you cut it- ideally you need to leave the timber in the biggest sections you can handle to minimise splitting
to encourage spalting you need to create a warm but damp enviroment out of direct sunlight and with little to no airflow. i've never had much sucess spalting timber once its been cut into sections but it is possible if stored correctly.

Back