Tile Drill Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
After spending too many hours and about £50 putting 10 holes in some ceramic tiles I thought I would share the following:

All 6mm bits; using a corded drill at about 1100 RPM.

1st Purchase - Turbolite - about £8 - Not a diamond drill bit. Comes with a little spray pen type thingy to keep the tip cool. I gave up after about a half an hour before finishing one hole

2nd Purchase - Makita Diamond core bit - about £13 - Comes with a water dispenser that can stick onto smooth finish tiles; but, not anything that has a bit of texture. The water creates quite a mess (which having done wall sawing for a while isn't that much of a problem for me) and is needed as the bit starts smoking the minute the water runs out. I managed four holes; and started another four; but it had lost all the diamonds by then

3rd Purchase - Bosch Diamond core bit - about £25 - dry drill bit; but, has some lubricant in the hollow shaft. The lubricant seemed to be released in a sporadic manner; but, it cut at a good constant speed and was much easier to use rather than fiddling around with water all the time. There was some slight drift; but, after 6 holes, it is still cutting very well

For the two diamond drill bits you need to go in at an angle to start the hole; which is difficult as the bit tries to run away. Although not acceptable, starting the holes was what seemed to finish the Makita bit.

In this case, the more expensive one really seemed to be the best value; but, then only someone on the slope would say that.

DT

Very interesting read DT for someone who's been on the receiving end as well :(

You can't have been drilling std ceramic though surely they must be porcelain tiles imo

cheers

Bob

I just don't know why they charge so much for these diamond coated drill bits here. I get mine from Hong Kong at a fraction of teh price so they can be treated as disposable. In glass mosaic a 6mm will do about 4 holes, 6 in porc and about a dozen in ceramic depending on how thick the glaze is. The larger holesaws are ideal for waste pipe and push button flushes

Use the drill to put a hole in a bit of 6mm ply or MDF and hold that to the surface to start the drill or on the small sizes tilt to start I just dip the end in water a few times, you don't need a lot of water.

This is who I buy from, the sets are a good buy if you just want them for home use.

J

jasonB":2tm3g79d said:
I just don't know why they charge so much for these diamond coated drill bits here. I get mine from Hong Kong at a fraction of teh price so they can be treated as disposable. In glass mosaic a 6mm will do about 4 holes, 6 in porc and about a dozen in ceramic depending on how thick the glaze is. The larger holesaws are ideal for waste pipe and push button flushes

Use the drill to put a hole in a bit of 6mm ply or MDF and hold that to the surface to start the drill or on the small sizes tilt to start I just dip the end in water a few times, you don't need a lot of water.

This is who I buy from, the sets are a good buy if you just want them for home use.

J

One supplier to keep hold of

Am I right in assuming that the 1/2" solid carbide end mills will be suitable for use in a router?
Very cheap if they are.

They probably don't have quite the same angles as ones specifically for wood but they are very good value. I have used quite a few of the HSS and a smaller amount of the solid carbide on metal and they work very well.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the tips and the supplier, although having looked at the prices feel a bit sick at what I spent.

Hey you live and learn!

DT

Back