Tightening nuts on a grinder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woden

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question - but how do you do it?

You see, I've just purchased a slow running grinder from Axminster and - having had to return the first one they sent me due to damage in transit - am having difficulities in tightening the nut on the cool running wheel I'm putting on.

The problem is that there appears to be nothing to grip to stop the shaft revolving. If I grip the wheel the shaft and nut just turn together; if I try holding the nut on the other wheel - which meant having to remove the other guard - it just loosens as the shafts have their threads running the opposite way (turning the shafts clockwise tightens one nut and loosens the other and so on).

There's no spindle lock on this or any other grinder - as far as I'm aware - so what's the trick to doing this. I had an el cheap 2900 rpm grinder prior to this but just used the crappy wheels it came with so have never had to go through the process of changing a wheel. :oops:

Seem to recall I may have used a softwood wedge jammed between the other wheel and the guard to lock it while I tightened the nut on the new one.

May have used a gloved hand as well at the same time on the other wheel.

Cheers, Paul :D

woden":e5mrigdy said:
There's no spindle lock on this or any other grinder - as far as I'm aware - so what's the trick to doing this. :

The way I always do it is to hold one wheel and tighten nut as much as possible then, holding the same wheel, tighten the other as much as poss. Repeat as ness. They don't have to be that tight, just tight enough.

HTH

the best way is to tighten them up till the nut firmly grips the wheel, then with a ring spanner on the nut , give the spanner a stout tap with a hammer to nip it up tight, dont belt it into oblivion just a single firm tap...
its always worked for me... :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to go and give them a try. The problem with wedging the other wheel is that I've loosened it too and so can't use it to tighten the one I'm working on.

Anyway, I'll report back with progress made, if any.

Had another play with the grinder today and got the nuts tightened.

I tightened the nuts up as much as possible as MDF_HAKA described and then used a wooden wedge as chisel suggested to do the last turn. The wedge jammed against one wheel and the other held was enough to stop the shaft turning and allow the nut to tighten up. Happy days.

Thanks all. :D

Back