Tight Dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am using up some left-over oak to make a jewelry box for my daughter and my dovetails have come out too tight.
I have been gradually reducing the pins but I am very wary of taking off too much and of taking it from where its not necessary.
Does anyone have any hints or wrinkles on how to work out where things are tight rather than uniformly taking all the pins down?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Simon

When a joint is too tight the surfaces which are tightly pressed together will be slightly polished. Hold the pins to the light, adjust the angle a little, and you should be able to see areas which are a little more shiney. These are the tight bits. pare them down a fraction and try again.

Just been fitting some tenons and this works on them as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob

I find that a file is very handy rather than paring down the pins. The grain can shift a chisel about in some timbers.

Just be carful that the file doesn't cut a notch below your scribe line.

Regards

Eoin

If they are all tight you could consider planing the inside surface of the pin board this will make all the wedges smaller. It may or may not be ok to do this depending on what you are making but this is far easier than attending to each individual pin.

Jeremy

Bright light, magnifying glass.
If you look close enough all will be obvious. It ain't rocket science.
NB better to have them too tight - you still have a chance!

Back