three old tools and a new project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjj

Established Member
Reaction score
some old tools i found when clearing out a friends garage

a spirit level, the bottom plate is somwhere else

p1000156d.jpg

p1000158k.jpg

this says

john rabone & sons
makers
birmingham

p1000162b.jpg

a plane
what type is this?

p1000163l.jpg

p1000165i.jpg

and what i think is a sanding block

p1000166m.jpg

anything interesting about these three?

and this is what im making at the moment

p1000168.jpg

p1000169i.jpg

sirjj":2sf8r9qw said:
a plane
what type is this?

p1000163l.jpg
Sash fillister, I believe. Essentially it makes a rebate but on the "off" side. Useful when the remaining wood thickness is more important than the depth of the rebate. Gough & Bowen traded in London between 1840 and 1855 and it's an uncommon maker. (Psst. The wedge is the wrong way round :wink: ) Sanding block's interesting too. Oh, and unusual table, btw.

I like the unusually shaped table. Is it too late late to conceal those screws ? Maybe with new 'stretchers'[?] you could just glue or screw from underneath so they won't be seen.

Is it pine?

monkeybiter":w0wl6n5i said:
I like the unusually shaped table. Is it too late late to conceal those screws ? Maybe with new 'stretchers'[?] you could just glue or screw from underneath so they won't be seen.

Is it pine?

its not finished yet thats going to be what holds a set of drawers up so they will be covered and itlle be finished in tung oil

edit: its a monitor riser based on this http://lumberjocks.com/projects/28921

sirjj":15zqz79r said:
what the helll!

http://www.wellsprings-antiques.com/Too ... 412XPi.htm

this is the one right?

thats allot i thought by the look of it, it was smthing somone had decided to make themselves (diy)
Ah, well, just because an anteek dealer puts a price like that on a plane, it doesn't mean it's actually worth that. Dunno about this exact example (there may be rabid Gough & Bowen collectors for all I know) but having had a quick look round da 'bay, if you can get £40 for a sash fillister that's doing pretty well.

Unfortunately, your sash fillister has been attacked with sandpaper, which stops it looking old and interesting, and will have reduced the value somewhat.
So any potential buyer would have to be someone keen on hand tool techniques but not too bothered about hand tools as historical objects. To make it worse, if they were keen to use the plane for its original purpose, they would be wanting to make timber windows and glazing bars by hand. Probably not a great many of those people around!

On a more positive note, I like your sanding block, which is an ingenious design people might like to copy.

AndyT":23gs61q9 said:
Unfortunately, your sash fillister has been attacked with sandpaper, which stops it looking old and interesting, and will have reduced the value somewhat.
So any potential buyer would have to be someone keen on hand tool techniques but not too bothered about hand tools as historical objects. To make it worse, if they were keen to use the plane for its original purpose, they would be wanting to make timber windows and glazing bars by hand. Probably not a great many of those people around!

On a more positive note, I like your sanding block, which is an ingenious design people might like to copy.

yeah my friend said he had tried to " clean it up" but the damage isnt as bad as the photo looks.

but im not planning on selling it unless i get a rediculess price, i might stat collecting hand tools my self :)

pluss i would love to make somthing like this myself, ill probanly keep it to use as a guide

Latest posts

Back