Thoughts on flip saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only just discovered these through looking on eBay for miter saws.
There seem to be quite a few Elu ones for a decent price.

Thoughts?

Thanks allot.

I guess it all depends on your circumstances and requirements. I have the Elektra Beckum / Metabo KGT501 which is aluminium table and looks similar to the Makita one. A friend (who is a builder) has the Elu which is steel and he uses it a lot for rough work and rates it for that. Don't know how good it would be for accurate work. He destroys tools so it must be pretty robust. For mine I have the sliding carriage and an extension for the mitre saw. I bought it second hand a number of years ago because I was doing a house refurb with no proper workshop. It has been great for that and quite accurate once setup. I would say the mitre saw has seen most use and is very accurate and nice to use with a good blade. It is induction motor driven which I like - not sure about the Elu. Table saw is OK but the table is quite small and the fence has no micro adjuster so needs care to set accurately. I bought it from a chippie who got it for site work but he said it was too heavy to cart from the van and back every day and I can see why as it is quite heavy to move. For me it is great but a proper cast iron table saw would handle larger sheets (I use a tracksaw now for sheets) if you have the space. If you need to have portability and can have it setup for a few days without constantly having to move it then it could suit you. If you need to move it constantly I would go for a smaller mitre saw and a tracksaw.

porker":38lbgau4 said:
I guess it all depends on your circumstances and requirements. I have the Elektra Beckum / Metabo KGT501 which is aluminium table and looks similar to the Makita one. A friend (who is a builder) has the Elu which is steel and he uses it a lot for rough work and rates it for that. Don't know how good it would be for accurate work. He destroys tools so it must be pretty robust. For mine I have the sliding carriage and an extension for the mitre saw. I bought it second hand a number of years ago because I was doing a house refurb with no proper workshop. It has been great for that and quite accurate once setup. I would say the mitre saw has seen most use and is very accurate and nice to use with a good blade. It is induction motor driven which I like - not sure about the Elu. Table saw is OK but the table is quite small and the fence has no micro adjuster so needs care to set accurately. I bought it from a chippie who got it for site work but he said it was too heavy to cart from the van and back every day and I can see why as it is quite heavy to move. For me it is great but a proper cast iron table saw would handle larger sheets (I use a tracksaw now for sheets) if you have the space. If you need to have portability and can have it setup for a few days without constantly having to move it then it could suit you. If you need to move it constantly I would go for a smaller mitre saw and a tracksaw.

Thanks for your message.

The reason I've taken interest in them is because I can't really afford a good table saw.
Everything around the £200 mark doesn't seem to have gotten very good reviews.
A miter saw would also be very useful, so when I noticed there was a machine that did both I wanted to look into it further, but I thought given the price there must be some compromise somewhere.
I won't need to be constantly moving it so portability doesn't really matter, and to be honest I won't really have a need to cut big sheets.

I haven't looked into track saws, nor have I noticed the matabo branded flip saws, so I shall have a look.

Thanks again.

I had a Dewalt flip over saw about 15 years ago before I could afford separates (table saw and scms) it was fairly accurate and covered both bases in one tool but but was never as good as having a specific table saw and separate mitre saw but will do the job and if it fits your budget could be a good starting point you could always sell in on if you decide to upgrade. They are a perfect tool for general builders.

I have a Makita flip and an Elu chop saw (mitre saw). Personally am not fond of the flip aspect. It works. I also have a reasonably heavy duty table saw though. I think on balance I would rather use my portable circular saw in mist circumstances, than the flip. However, your preferences may differ. A good mitre saw is a useful tool. Since I also have a 16' bandsaw now I don't use the mitre saws as much as I used to but the Elu still gets used regularly. I have a lot of Elu gear. Most of it is 20 years old and still works faultlessly. It was damn good kit.

I must agree AJB the Elu is all good stuff I have had a there stuff in the past and it's all been solid and reliable .

The choices are ...

One machine that does two things reasonably well.

Two machines that do one thing each, very well.

I suppose it's more a question of cost + space vs. intention.

If the budget's limited then you should question if you need this type of saw at all. It certainly isn't a substitute for a table saw.

If you want to work solid timber as a hobby on not a lot of money, then small projects, made entirely by hand with a very basic tool kit, will teach you more and deliver far more satisfaction and pleasure, than struggling with poor quality, inherently inaccurate, power tools.

I have owned an elu flip saw for over 20 years and have found it brilliant. I have an extension table that allows me to rip 8 x 4 sheets of ply. This is a great quality tool and you can use dewalt accessories with it.

I have the dewalt flip over, it works just fine within its limitations its as accurate, as you set it up to be but that takes time. I use it mainly as a table saw and found it to be better than most budget table saws. the table is a bit small but you can extend it and the fence takes careful adjustment and needs clamping at the non fixed end.

Ive outgrown mine and am buying a cast iron table saw as i no longer need it for site use. ive not really used it much as a mitre saw as i have a makita radial arm jobby thats much better for that sort of thing.

Mark

Latest posts

Back