This weekends efforts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

At last :lol: I have managed to get into the shed again after 2 weeks :D :D Hope you like my efforts.
DSCF0658crop.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

6" x1.75" Sycamore bowl with gold flake decoration.(First time I have tried this).

DSCF0670crop.jpg

DSCF0671crop.jpg

Tealight holder in rippled ash (offcut from the goblet of about 3 weeks ago)

DSCF0676crop.jpg

DSCF0679crop.jpg

DSCF0681crop.jpg

12" X 2" Spalted Beech oiled with foodsafe oil. The wood was bought on friday at Woodex

Hope you like them

Malcolm

the gold leaf piece isnt to my taste but very nicely done- the spalted beech is really nice but i would have prefferd a thinner edge/wall thickness which would have made it more elegant or a small grove or somthing to define the rim from the internal flow of the bowl- the two just seem to merge together

Nice work with a modern contemporary feel. Like the fact that you have left recess in the bases.

All lovely, Malcolm ! :D

In a good way.. the Sycamore, when upturned, reminds me of the ARP Warden's hat ( Dad's Army )... fantastic !
Its a different shape to many that we all do / see and I love the combination of the depth of the bowl, with the wide thin rim... its a cracker ! 8)

The Tee-Light is a beaut ... has a 'simple delicacy' to it ... its great ! the two dark lines really enhance the piece too... spot on for 'position' with them too.

And that S/B Foodsafe one... I can visualise full of banana's, oranges etc.. and is another very good looking bowl...

Like them all, very much !

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Fabulous Malcolm, not sure if i have a favourite although the sycamore is nice, but then again the spalted is too, and the tea light, damn it, they are all great..

I like the Sycamore bowl combining finishes works on the bowl.
You seem to have made the most of the weekend..Very
fine work Thanks for posting the pic and descriptions..
oiled with food safe oil
...???

The paltters really nice, only change I would make would be to have the outside curved a little bit. If you make the actual edge thinner as George suggests it will have the delicate look but taper it to a thicker base so that it has the strength for use.

pete.

Hi All
Glad that you all liked them :D

George
The reason for it being so thick is that the spalting has got a real good hold of it and it is very softon one side, so I left it thick for fear of it disintegrating.

H&B
This is the foodsafe oil that I use
http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/CMS/pro ... e%20Finish
It is very useful for items that may come in contact with any form of edibles :D :D

Pete

I used the 'size' that is recommended for gold-leaf . You can usually get it from wherever you get the gold flake.

Thanks everyone

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,
Some lovely pieces there, 'though my favourite is the ash tea-light holder for its relative simplicity enhanced by the 2 dark lines.
If only ability were directly proportional to a name!!!

Malc :D

Hi Malcolm,
Good weekends work there and a nice result!
Like many other comments I think the spalted beach bowl would have looked better with a thinner edge but I still like the overall appearance.
Best regards,
Ian

Hi Malcolm, I very much like the spalted beech piece, the way the change in shade runs more or less right down the middle gives it great appeal.

I don't like the goldy stuff much though, but hey each to their own :)

JT

Am a little unsure if I like the gold stuff or not. I think it is maybe a bit too much in a big block, but would imagine it to be one of those pieces that you have to see in real life to appreciate.. if you know what I mean? :-k

I love the spalted one!! and, although I know I am in a very small minority here, I like thicker pieces! The only reason I turn any really thin ones is for skills pratice, just personal choice, but I like wood to feel like wood, and wood is strong and solid. so, for me, if it had been really thin, it maybe would not have appealed so much... I know!! .. there's always one!! :roll:

I like the tealight holder (although maybe not the (LED?) tea light in it!)

how did you darken the grooves?

What is rippled ash? Does that give the tiger stripes down the sides?

Back