Long time out of the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Back on the lathe at last after rebuilding the workshop, so feeling VERY rusty.

Had a little practise session on some pine, then ventured onto 2 completely new experiences for me;

First up, a toy car for a friend’s one year old’s birthday.
Toy car for James Newbury 20170611.jpg

Sycamore log bandsawn down to 3 by 2, then turned into a stylised car. Axle holes drilled, ready for;

Sycamore offcuts turned to make axles, then a cherry branch turned into four “approximately identical” wheels. (Hey, it was my first time and he’s only 1!!)

Food safe oil and buffed.

I’m not unhappy overall, but realised I must have been letting the gouge move into the air space when turning the body – at least I assume that is the cause for the slight ‘ripples’ along the bonnet and boot. If anyone can advise I’d be grateful.

Toy car parts for James Newbury 20170611.jpg

Second up – the first box I’ve ever made.

Oak branch. Finished size H: 60mm, D: 55mm, Wall thickness: 3mm
side.jpg

Spindle, then chucked, parted through midpoint with an old saw blade, to maintain grain match as much as possible.

Hollowed with spindle gouge, then very gentle square end scraper. Sanded inside as wanted final size before fitting other half.

Tenon formed on other half (satisfying pop tight fit during turning!)

Hollowed, etc same way
inside.jpg

Parted off with a satisfyingly concave outside.
top.jpg

Cleaned up ends and sanded, then Chestnut buff.
open.jpg

I know it’s far from perfect, but I’m ridiculously pleased it worked out. Snug but removable fit and the inside, whilst very difficult to sand, is acceptable, (especially as it was only really for practice, as it’ll be sealed shut with a small amount of my Mum’s ashes, which my nephew wants to keep).

C&C on both items is very welcome – Please feel free to advise on any aspect – form, finish, etc as well as techniques/methods you’d recommend.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,128
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,128
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Toy car parts for James Newbury 20170611.jpg
    Toy car parts for James Newbury 20170611.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Toy car for James Newbury 20170611.jpg
    Toy car for James Newbury 20170611.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,128
Box looks great - can't visualise the size without something to scale it by. Looks very tactile and 'pickupable'. I can't imagine it will just sit on a shelf - I can see it being picked up and held quite often, when your nephew is thinking of your mother.

Car is an unusual shaped. But looks good assembled and ready for some battering by a toddler! Good job you are back in the workshop. Looks like family and friends need your creations. Keep it up.

Thanks for the comments, Stanleymonkey.

The box is 60mm high and 55 wide - easy hand size.

IIRC, the inspiration (but not execution level!) of the car, is one by Nev on here a few years ago. I just wanted 'soft' edges, so less danger of injury to child or whatever he batters with it.

Cheers

Greg

That's a lovely box, made for a specific purpose.

Your mum would be very proud of you. I think your nephew will be over the moon with it too.

You don't seem rusty to me.

What a load of rubbish :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I said elsewhere good to be back in the shed and you will be back up to your usual standard a bit like riding a bike so they say.

Like the car and a great sentiment with the little boxes. Are they putting the ashes in a plastic container in the box

Thanks again, Dalboy. When you say 'up to your usual standard' you evidently haven't seen my work before - that is my usual standard! (But I'm getting in there a bit now, so hopefully raise the standard ;)

My nephew just wanted a little reminder of his Gran. So just a simple little box he can keep a handful or so of the ashes. No liner as far as I know. It'll be glued closed, so doesn't really matter, tbh.

Cheers

Greg

gregmcateer":17thb140 said:
Thanks again, Dalboy. When you say 'up to your usual standard' you evidently haven't seen my work before - that is my usual standard! (But I'm getting in there a bit now, so hopefully raise the standard ;)
Cheers

Greg
I have seen you previous work, You did some good work as you say a little rusty that is all.

Back