This Afternoon at Chisels....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've made a lovely job of that mallet, Paul =D> I just wonder about the shape of the head, though. You've gone for a sort of oval shape, rather than cylindrical so it's sort of in between a carver's and a carpenter's mallet. Might be the worst features of both :-k I'd be interested to hear how it works out in use.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes, you could be right Paul, will have to try it and see, will let you know.

I thought of that Rob, bieng able to use a carvers type without having to look at it, might try that next.

Will wait till my replacement nvr switch comes for the pillar drill though, packed up on Friday just as I went to drill a hole to fix the Y lever on my Stanley. That thing is definately not meant to get fixed !

As the drill was out of order, I made the hole for the mallet handle on the lathe using a jacobs chuck in the headstock and a sawtooth bit, but was a bit tricky and slow, so will wait till the drill is fixed and then try a carver type hopefully next weekend.

Cheers, Paul. :D

woodbloke":3msr7ow3 said:
If it doesn't work very well in practice, Paul's got plenty of timber for another 1 or 12 :lol: - Rob

Yep, got more kindling and firewood than I know what to do with, as well as some more decent bits thank goodness ! :lol:

Just been out to the workshop to give the mallet another coat of oil before I get some dinner, and was dry enough to try it out before I gave it the next coat.

It's a delight to use, just the right heft and size for the LN chisels and made a big difference in use compared to the rubber headed small mallet I had been using :shock: :oops: :lol:

Made the cuts much crisper and cleaner.

The head shape seems fine in use as there is actually a reasonably sized flat face on each end so no problems at all. Both the mallet and the chisel handle unmarked.

Made some alternative iroko chisel handles also a while ago, so if I do need to do a bit more pounding I can swap the coco whatsit ones for the iroko which will take a battering a bit better.

Well chuffed ! :D

To be a bit more specific, Paul, I feel that because it's an unbalanced shape and has a curved striking surface, you might find yourself having to concentrate on how the mallet strikes the chisel, rather than on what the sharp end of the chisel is doing. That problem is overcome with the traditional carver's mallet by the shape being uniform and the carpenter's mallet having flat surfaces. I could be completely wrong, though, and it works perfectly... :oops:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS just seen your post - ignore what I said.... :oops: :lol:

Paul,if that shape works for Fred Flinstone why change it. :lol:
Looks a good un to me by the way. :wink:

Neat and nice S/B Rob.

Next project then... A "Donkey's -ear" S/B?
You never know when you might want to make a 'hopper'!

More planes than Fairford too. Just like me, except I have mostly Stanleys & Records!

Be Lucky
John
:)

Back