Thinning the wallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across this little item for sale on another forum.
basato52.jpg

Do you know what it is yet?
Here's another picture dwarfing it's miniscule brother
basato2.jpg

and here it is in all it's glory...
basato-5-2.jpg

It's almost brand new and weighs a ton! Sounds like a turbine when it's running and I'm too scared to run it at 1200rpm :lol:

The same guy was also selling one of these...
kity1.jpg

Do you know what THIS is? Here's another picture...
kity2.jpg

I've been pondering about getting a spindle moulder for sometime but never been tempted with what I saw for sale secondhand. They all seemed very basic and rather tired.

Nor did I want to pay huge bucks for anything new. In conversation with the vendor he mentioned that his spindle moulder had a power feed....mmmm.mmm...that's a bit more interesting...and that it had hardly ever been used.....even more interesting....and then he sent me THIS picture..
Kity-1629-spindle-moulder.jpg

and the decision was made.

So I bought them both for the princely sum of £1100 and am pretty chuffed to bits.

Now all I need is some tuition in using the SM as SWMBO is very worried about me losing parts of my anatomy (as am I :wink: ) and these new machines scare the living daylights out of me.

Roger,

Nice one, or should that be two? :D :roll:

I see that the Cast Iron Slope TM is well waxed in your case. 8)
I must admit to looking at the spindles of that size, not sure I have the space and know I don't have the money. :whistle:

Good to see someone else with my problem - the 'garage that isn't'...

And they arrived just in time for the weekend :lol:
I wish you well, and hope tunneling out from under the sawdust on Sunday evening isn't too difficult :shock:

Julian

Roger Sinden":hh8ttoks said:
Now all I need is some tuition in using the SM as SWMBO is very worried about me losing parts of my anatomy (as am I :wink: ) and these new machines scare the living daylights out of me.
Then get hold of Eric Stephenson's excellent book "Spindle Moulder Handbook" (Stobart-Davies ISBN: 0-85442-031-2) or failing that F. E. Sherlock's tome "Machine Woodworking Technology for Hand Woodworkers" (Stobart-Davies ISBN: 0-85542-041-X). Eric was the chief designer at Robinson's of Rochdale many years ago (when we still had a woodworking machinery industry) and his book makes excellent reading, although my edition is now very out of date on tooling safety and legislation. For the latest on tooling there is slod some excellent info over at the HSE web site on tooling, as well as the use of spindle moulders. Read them - they're a very good primer.

Scrit

If I got a bandsaw, spindle moulder AND table saw in one day, it would be SWMBO removing parts of my anatomy :shock:

Cheers, green with envy

Julian

Mcluma":g1et41ol said:
TABLE SAW!!!!

I did not see any mentioning or picture of a table saw

How did that one slipped in :roll:

Umm..err.yes..I did kind of sneak this one in :oops:

quite elderly but in good nick

DW746K.jpg

and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you could fit a d...ah..best not go there

bl**dy hell Roger
So you finallly sold the flat then?

I shall be round shortly to check out the SM!

Cheers

T

Back