Thinning sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard J

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been putting thinner in my sanding sealer, but still getting an uneven finish once it has dried, and needing a fair bit of sanding. How far do I dare dilute the sealer?

I usually dilute by about a quarter to a third, but you could go up to half and half with the cellulose thinners if you wanted.

You need to work fast with it, wiping or brushing it on and then immediately wiping off the excess. The idea is to leave the sealer in the pores of the wood, using two or three coats if necessary to build up sufficiently to fill the pores if on an open pored wood.

Sanding after then should only need to be fairly limited as you do not have a thick build up on the surface of the wood.

Cheers, Paul

Many thanks Paul
I mix it at 3 parts sealer to 1 part thinners, I think I will try your 50/50 method.
Many thanks
Richard

Richard J":22wrrs9v said:
I have been putting thinner in my sanding sealer, but still getting an uneven finish once it has dried, and needing a fair bit of sanding. How far do I dare dilute the sealer?

What sealer are you using:-

1. Cellulose
2. Acrylic
3. Shellac

How are you applying it:-
1. With a brush and leaving it
2. With a brush and immediately wiping surplus off
3. With a soaked cloth
4. With a button cloth as you would a button polish/French polishing

When are you applying it:-
1. With lathe rotating
2. With lathe stationary

Personally I would not dilute Cellulose of Acrylic greater than 15% on sound wood.

When you say uneven; are you referring to build up streaks or differing absorption levels in side and end grain.

What level of surface preparation are you working to, sanding down to 240-320 grit or burnishing further.

Any particular wood species that are causing a problem or are the problems across various woods.

Abrasion should be minimal after sanding sealer, just a burnish of any raised grain before a second coat if necessary.

Evening.

Using cellulose sealer, of which I apply with a brush with lathe on slowest speed, then wipe off excess with a kitchen towel before it starts to drag.
I generally sand down to 400.
The last thing I did was Iroko, which wasn't too bad to be fair. And the one at the moment with the surfing like runs is of dubious origin, bit like mahogany but darker. (It's a random unnamed blank that came with the lathe) but was beautiful until I sealed it. It will require re-sanding back and doing again.
Many thanks again for your advice.

R

Back