Thinking of a Festool C12 - am I mad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cambournepete":buhzn5iu said:
Am I going completely mad thinking of spending this much on a drill? :shock: :?

No, I don’t think you’re mad.
I don’t own the C12 but have been using the CDD 12 for more than 3 years now.
Long story short, if you’re looking for a high quality cordless drill you can choose from a rather wide range of types and brands. And you’ll most likely find a good cordless drill that is noticeably cheaper than the C12.
However, the C12 offers revolutionary, innovative technology. I can’t comment on its advantages in real use.
The – IMO – best feature of the Festool cordless drills are the attachments. The CDD I use is equipped with the standard FastFix chuck, the eccentric attachment and the right angle attachment. The combination of these chucks is absolutely unique and worth its price if you see a need for it. Of course, you can buy a separate right angle drill (the Makitas are not comparable due to their lack of a two speed gear box) but the eccentric attachment is truly unique.

SimonA":buhzn5iu said:
I think I have to agree with the rest of the gang here.....Thats is a lot of money, but having said that if I was going to pruchase a new drill I'd probably be looking at one of these:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/12/pro ... 377707.htm

Honestly, I think everyone should have a Festool TDK, CDD or C12 and one of those new Makita Lithium Ion cordless drills. ;) :lol:
I recently bought the Makita BHP440SFE – just because I wanted it. ;) So far, I like it a lot but wouldn’t trade the more versatile Festool CDD for it.

As for impact drivers, I had a close look at the Boschs at a woodworking show a few months ago. They were nice for sure but I don’t see why and at which applications I could need their power/torque in the case of building and installing cabinets. Not to mention that they were LOUD, VERY LOUD.

Mike B":buhzn5iu said:
The reason is that in my opinion the C12 is kind of weird to hold and when I picked one up it instantly became a definite no no. It is really small and light but the trigger is just too long for my (tiny!) hands - I ended up with about 3 fingers on the trigger!! For me it would be a TDK without a doubt.

I really like the CDD’s and the C12’s shape.

CDD.jpg

The major advantage of this kind of pistol grip style is that you can place your hand directly in line with screws/drill bits. That’s great in order to apply pressure.
This is also one of the main reasons why I appreciate my Fein corded drill.
So let me second your suggestion.

May be a little late on this one, but if you do decide to go "mad", may I suggest that you try to find a C12 in the flesh first.

Does anyone know whether standard bits fit the additional chucks?? I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need Festool ones with an indent for the ball bearing holder mechanism else they will fall out as the chucks are not magnetic...

The only proprietary Festool chuck (that requires Festool bits) is the Centrotec chuck. The standard Fast Fix chuck, the right angle and the eccentric attachment work fine with common bits.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Are you mad? Yes but no more then most of us.

If you get the C12/Centrotec kit, and add the 2 attachments, you are talking about £500+, but for this you have got a drill, that like Heineken, will fit in places that other drills cannot reach.

IMHO Festool are one the best manufacturers of power tools, so if you can afford it then go for it. You will certainly have one first class tool.

SimonA,

I think I have to agree with the rest of the gang here.....Thats is a lot of money, but having said that if I was going to purchase a new drill I'd probably be looking at one of these:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/12/pro ... 377707.htm

I took delivery of the Makita BHP451SFE a couple of weeks ago (review soon) and i am over the moon with it.

Cheers

Mike

Its Nice to see that theres a couple of people helping him down that slippery Festool slope!! :lol:

Nice one Mike, can't wait fo rthe review!

SimonA

First of all many thanks for the helpful replies to my questions. :)
Apologies for the delay in responding, but work and mother-in-law head-butting her (very solid) kitchen floor :shock: :( have conspired to delay any response...

I've bought one, plus the bit systainer set and the offset and angle chucks.

Yes it's expensive, but it feels right in my little hands (I wasn't sure it would as the design's a bit different, but I needn't have worried), it's not too heavy, I like the (idea of the) technology in it, it's part of a system, it's a doddle to use in awkward areas and I had the money as part of an inheritance.

I tried the Metabo Powermaxx (£75 at Yandles) but it was too fat in my hands and felt like too much of a compromise to me and I knew I wouldn't be happy with it.

I had a feel of the other drills in both Yandles and Axminster, but they were all a bit too heavy or plasticky or not right for me*.

Although it's only for doing something relatively simple I find I like a tool that I know will work without hassle - it just means you can concentrate on what you're doing. It's not just getting the job done, but enjoying doing it in the first place.
Some people get the same feeling from Lie-Nielsen...

If people are interested I can try and post a review of it when I've had more of a chance to play with it.

Cheers,
Pete

*The new Bosch Li-Ion 36v SDS drill is much lighter than you might expect - the battery weighs almost nothing(ish)

Congrats, Pete! Enjoy your new cordless drill.:)

cambournepete":2uo6paqu said:
If people are interested I can try and post a review of it when I've had more of a chance to play with it.

I'd greatly appreciate your review. Thanks in advance.

Christian

Hi Pete,

I'm please to hear that you went for the festool in the end......it might be a lot, but if it makes you happy then its more than worth the price.

I'd love a review and some pics mate...that would be great!.

SimonA

Hope you haven't made a decision you'll regret!

Usally operating on the very side of careful, I did choose a C12, partly for the 'Centrotec' quick change system, partly for the brushless motor. The C12 also is better a bit like a LN plane is better. I also have a 14v Hitachi combo for rougher work and two ageing Makita 'stick' 9.6v that the C12 replaces.

The C12 is small, light, powerful, especially controllable, better made than most mains drills, no run out, no chuck bearing slack, Centrotec quick change fitments fit as snugly as if chucked, so no chipping out as per wobbly hex quick change bits do. An hour's use would sorely tempt you. The other drills are more of a builder's or carpenter's tool.

As usual, we get ripped off, Uncle Sam can buy his C12 for about £200 the lucky fellow!

I have one of these and like all Festool stuff it's really top drawer, the balance in the hand is unbelievable and you can work wth it for much much longer (well this skinny guy can anyway) than my old DW or Makita.
The accesories are also suberb, but I am a Festool fanatic, I save and save (and then save some more) and buy the Festool version of all power tools I need and I never regret it.

Back