Thin boards for a garden arbour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benpointer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I am building a garden arbour in the style of an upturned boat (!) - imagine the front half of a small trawler stood up so that it's bow is pointing to the sky. I have made the frame (keel, ribs etc) from treated 8x2 softwood shaped on the bandsaw with sections glued and sacred together where appropriate to give the curve shapes of a boat's keel, sides and ribs. And I have to say I am pretty pleased with it so far.

So the next thing is I need to clad it in some long boards to give the effect of a clinker-built boat. I am thinking I will actually do it in two skins with a breathable waterproof membrane hidden between to give a rain protection to the inside. I need boards which will be reasonably rot-resistant and which will bend round the curve of the prow which has a minimum radius of 1.5m. I really I would like each board to cover 150mm width, so I am thinking 175-200mm wide boards as thin as possible to allow the bending without breaking. The boards will need to be 3.0m in length to run from the ground to the tip off the roof (prow) in one sweep. I don't really want to get into steam bending cos I would have to would a steamer to take 2.0m x 200mm boards.

So the question is - any suggestions as to what timber I could use, how thin I should aim for?, remembering that it is not a real boat and doesn't need to stay afloat. Ideally I would like to source timber the right thickness though I do have a big bandsaw so I could re-saw, and a 12" P/T which says it will go down to 5'' thickness.

Your suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks!

I'd guess that larch would be suitable - it's often sawn into very thin boards to be made into fencing panels. Maybe a fencing manufacturing company could help you - though I don't expect they would necessarily have 3m lengths.

Oak and sweet chestnut are both naturally durable without treatment and might be available as 4" fencing posts which you could resaw yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have found a sawmill not too far away (Ridley Sawmill near Shaftesbury) who will cut me green western red cedar into 200mm x 10mm boards 3.0m long and they are pretty confident it will flex round the 1.5m radius I need, so I have taken the plunge.

If they confidence proves unfounded and I have issues bending the green wood I might well have a go steaming with the flat ply tubes as per djwalsh's suggestion - looks intriguing!

I'll let you know how I get on in case anyone is interested.

Thanks once again.

Hi guys, finished this project a few weeks ago and thought I'd post some photos in case anyone is interested.

The green western red cedar bent and fixed like a dream - no steaming required. I am really pleased with the result. It smells lovely too! I can highly recommend Ridley Sawmills, Ansty nr Salisbury for quality green timber

I made the fish mobile from some cedar offcuts.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00770.jpeg
    DSC00770.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 126
Very nice and on-trend too, I believe.
Thanks for showing us the finished result - you should be proud of that!

@AJB - it's a good spot!

I did initially plan to build a bench seat into it, and there is a rib at the right height to take one...

But I am a wheechair user, so my wife and I decided it made more sense to put a couple of nice teak chairs in there and then we can easily pull one out when I want to sit in it.

I have posted a couple more pictures of the arbour under construction. Amazing what you can do from a wheelchair with a bit of planning!

Attachments

• P1030971.jpeg
    P1030971.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1030965.JPG
    P1030965.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 75
That looks amazing !!!! Garden looks tidy aswell. Have you anchored it down in any way or is it fairly sheltered from the wind ?
Smart job !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I have not anchored it down and it is fairly sheltered from the wind but I do plan to anchor it before the winter. We just want to take a bit of time to make sure we have it positioned in the best place. I will just pop 4 s/s screws through the bottom rib into the oak decking. Should take 5 mins - just have to remember before the first winter gale!

That's brilliant, and doing it from (in?) a wheelchair really shows up those of us with full mobility.
Of course, if you lived up here near the coast, you could probably find the real thing and just hit it with a chainsaw - I've seen quite a few around. But not nearly as elegant.

Latest posts

Back