(Thicknesser) Timber pulling sideways

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wills-mill

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I'm setting up a Wadkin UO/S planer thicknesser at the moment. I've replaced a broken stud that forms the spring holder to tension one side of the infeed roller, and I've set that roller to the bed with a DTI and checked over the chip breaker, pressure bar and outfeed roller as well.

I've made a few test cuts with some chunky boards of Oak and Cedar about 2ft long and they all get dragged onto the diagonal and drawn through the machine on the squint. I've had a fiddle with the spring tensions but feel I'm just waving a finger in the breeze as I'm not sure what that's achieving.

What should I be looking out for?

(Apart from longer boards)

wills-mill":1yf3yb9p said:
Afternoon all. I'm setting up a Wadkin UO/S planer thicknesser at the moment. I've replaced a broken stud that forms the spring holder to tension one side of the infeed roller, and I've set that roller to the bed with a DTI and checked over the chip breaker, pressure bar and outfeed roller as well.

I've made a few test cuts with some chunky boards of Oak and Cedar about 2ft long and they all get dragged onto the diagonal and drawn through the machine on the squint. I've had a fiddle with the spring tensions but feel I'm just waving a finger in the breeze as I'm not sure what that's achieving.

What should I be looking out for?

(Apart from longer boards)

Check your blades are aligned on the block, sometimes if the one of them drops a corner below the other it causes the wood to be dragged sideways, you don’t always see it on the plane because it drags into the gate. Which way is it side stepping – away from or toward the back gate ?

Fivetide":3q1vlebs said:
Check your blades are aligned on the block, sometimes if the one of them drops a corner below the other it causes the wood to be dragged sideways, you don’t always see it on the plane because it drags into the gate. Which way is it side stepping – away from or toward the back gate ?

Thanks, I'll have a look this afternoon. I don't know what you mean by gate (fence?) but when thicknessing the timber is drawn towards the fence and motor side of the machine- I suppose it is the back of the planer as it would usually be the side facing the workshop wall.

W

Back