Thicknesser Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
i have brough a ryobi thicknesser and am a little stuck.

what the prob is, is that at the startand en of every cut i make there is a dip in the wood 50mm long by 1mm deep, i have attached a pic to help, any ideas what could be doing it?

i have tryed changing the height of the infeed/outfeed rollers but that does not make much difference, i have also tryed puting an extra table on out of mdf but that makes not difference. please help

sorry for the quality, the problem i am talking about is at the top right

DSCF0020.jpg

It happens as the timber leaves or gets to the next feed roller . you can get over it by lifting the timber as you feed it in and pressing down as it comes out . Or was it the other way round :-k
Some of the cheaper thicknessers will do it no matter what you do . Mine does it so i just allow for it in my timber length .

JFC":3pnuhxsi said:
you can get over it by lifting the timber as you feed it in and pressing down as it comes out . Or was it the other way round

Actually I think you have to lift it on the way in and on the way out. Snipe happens because there is a point where the board is under just one of the rollers, not both. As the rollers are spring-loaded, the weight of the board makes the end rise (against the spring-loaded roller) and go further into the cutter - hence a thinner board at that point.

Either allow for it, as JFC suggests, or take the weight so it doesn't get lifted up.

HTH
Cheers
Steve

Just had a glance on another thread and im i right in thinking it suggests an extended bed will stop snipe ?

Snipe happens with all thicknessers to an extent - but with some of the lower cost models it is very pronounced. A longer feed table can help, although MFC or MF-MDF is better than MDF (slippier). Another thing to try is to have a piece of scrap and feed it through butted-up against the back edge of the board. That way the snipe is in the scrap stock and not in your piece of walnut..... Just make sure that the scrap is longer than the minimum length recommended in the handbook.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back