Thicknesser advice wanted!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been using a Delta 22-560 thicknesser for the past 7 or 8 years and has served me well, until recently that is, when it suddenly became very hard to adjust the blade height and to my horror I have discovered that the main casting which holds just about everything together has cracked!!

I have now deemed this as being a scrapper and am looking for a new one!

After trawling the net I have come across the following three machines which all seem to be the same, just badged up differently.

Fox 13" THICKNESSER F22560
Charnwood W575 13"
SIP 13 Inch Thicknesser

SIP are currently having a promotion and I have found their model for sale for £209 inc vat!!

NOT BAD I THOUGHT, BUT ARE THEY ANY GOOD!!!
HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS ANY OF THESE BEFORE?

Hi Pete,

It's about time you posted on here :lol: I can't help you here but there must be some members who use these models.

You can do a search for previous posts on the subject, theres bound to be some reports on how these models perform.

Hi Pete. I use the Charnwood and have done for a little over a year. Its a good tool.

I had a problem once, could not switch it on. Spoke to the customer services they thought it may be the switch. Took the machine in, the engineer replaced the switch, although he could not get it to fail, and gave the machine a thorough clean. No problem since.

I do get a little bit of snipe which annoys me, but I now rough cut my lengths to take this into account.

If I was to buy another thicknesser, I would consider buying this machine again.

HTH. Bob

Hi Pete

I am no expert but Ryobi seem to have a pretty decent reputation and there thicknesser is available on one of the Ebay shops for £180. Tools direct if I remember correctly.

Harry

bobscarle":zq5yx0bn said:
I do get a little bit of snipe which annoys me, but I now rough cut my lengths to take this into account.

You can get snipe on ANY thicknesser, not matter how well it is set up, it's the nature of the beast. A thicknesser has two independent rollers, drive and outfeed and snipe is a risk whenever only one is engaged. Th only way to prevent it is to support the weight of the board perfectly when the board is entering and leaving the machine.

Now if you are getting snipe on planing (jointing) then that is a totally different matter. I'm writing an article about it at this very moment!

Cheers
Steve

Watch out for e-bay purchases - some don't include VAT in the headline price. Read the small print !

Cheers

Karl

I also have the Charnwood and have found it a good piece of ki. Blades need renewal, not a job I'm looking forward to. Rick.

Back