The World Cup - Indifferenteers thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On quite a few occasions we have had members asking other members to make it clear in the title what their thread is about, so that if it holds no interest to them they can bypass it. And this is fair enough, why should anyone read a post if for what ever reason they do not want to.

Then we have SOME of the above members who clearly dislike the theme of the thread, not only read it, but as in this case also take part in it. IMHO this is done to wind other members up. If you do not like football why read a thread about it?

Both of my avatars clearly show that I love football and I always have. Being born within a few hundred yards of Highbury, Arsenal's old ground, it is very possible that some of the first sounds I ever heard was the cheer of the North Bank crowd.

No matter how you break it down calling the fans or players eejits or idiots, you are having ago at those of us who do like football.

I do not particularly like cricket or rugby, but you do not hear me slaging either the game, the fans, or the players down. In fact in competitions like The Ashes I am right behind my country. Alright when it comes to rugby I lean towards Ireland, but coming from a family of Irish you can understand why.

Cheers

Mike

I'm a Scot (living in Yorkshire - the best place other than Scotland to live of course) and I personally can't wait for the World Cup. As a fan of the game itself, I'm really looking forward to an endless series of games (3 games most days).

I'm not too bothered about Scotland not taking part, I'm quite happy with the thought that for whatever reason we're simply not good enough, and face much stronger competition for regional qualification than other so-called "minnows". So with that aspect put to bed, I can get on with and enjoy a hopefully great festival of the game I love, with the top talents across the world showing us what they can do (and Rooney foul-mouthing and shouting himself from one yellow card to the next).

As a Scotsman I'm not one of the "hate England because of hundreds of years of oppression from Westminster etc etc" - as it is I don't particularly want them to win, but only because the media will be insufferable if they were to come home with the trophy (that and the honours bestowed on them for doing their job as the previous poster commented).

I think it's so rich that the media can slate them day after day (Rooney's temper, Capello's outburst, James' clown 'keeping etc) and then proclaim them as the second coming if they were to actually win it.

I've lived here long enough (and married an English lass), I love the people and even admire many of the players, so I've nothing against the place or team at all.

As for the World Cup itself, I look forward to the sight of fairly random games between bizarre countries, that's less face it you've only heard about because they have a football team (eg Slovakia), or only knew they had a football team because they turned up at the World Cup (USA).

Also, I can't abide the flags - all over shops, cars, houses, toothbrushes (for heavens sake!), Mars bars. In Scotland we call them "90 minute nationalists" - although 90 minutes is usually only as long as we get to celebrate - the 90 minutes before the first qualifying game starts and we think that we might get to the tournament, only to lose in that first game, and suddenly we're "investing the grass roots future of the game".

Sorry if that's a long post - I had a lot to say and work was fairly quiet this lunchtime!!

Cheers and good luck to all the footballers, officials and organisers for a great competition (including England).

Alan

studders":1b0gvj3r said:
What World Cup?

:lol:

Steve remember the word I had in your shell like and the slap you will receive for opening your gob :wink:

Anyway we are talking about the Tetley Tea Folk Summer Tea Drinking Contest which this year is being held within the Nutbush City Limits (can you tell that I am just listning to Tina Turner) and the men only contest winner gets a date with you :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3qaf8ns6 said:
Tetley Tea Folk Summer Tea Drinking Contest which this year is being held within the Nutbush City Limits and the men only contest winner gets a date with you :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Damn Mike, if only that had been a Coffee drinking contest.
I'd have won for sure, then I could have had a date with.... errr.. myself. :?

studders":1ht75ucy said:
Mike.C":1ht75ucy said:
Tetley Tea Folk Summer Tea Drinking Contest which this year is being held within the Nutbush City Limits and the men only contest winner gets a date with you :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Damn Mike, if only that had been a Coffee drinking contest.
I'd have won for sure, then I could have had a date with.... errr.. myself. :?

Steve no matter how much I try I can never wind you up mate. :wink: Your either the most laid back bloke on the planet, or you have plenty of teeth marks on the edge of your desk :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Cheer up - I hadn't expected anyone to really care too much about what I think about their interests. After all, why would you give a f*ck what I think?! I feel flattered.

No offence intended - just part of the oft mentioned "banter" that I mistakenly thought was an accepted part of the forum.

matt":2bxjqfpf said:
Football is great - yeay! "Engerland, Engerland, Engerland...." See - I even know the lyrics to the song.

Sorry, can't really give you any points I'm afraid.

It's actually

"Ing gur lund , Ing gur lund, Ing gur lund.... "

Woops, appears I may have ruffled a few feathers!

Matt":3ghzil06 said:
No offence intended - just part of the oft mentioned "banter" that I mistakenly thought was an accepted part of the forum.

Couldn't agree more!

Malc :D

Oh my god! Football and Big brother on the box........Looks like I will be spending more time in the workshop then. :evil:

mailee":1ahslz88 said:
Oh my god! Football and Big brother on the box........Looks like I will be spending more time in the workshop then. :evil:
Same here Mailee...all we need now is the darts to complete the hat trick (no pun intended :oops: ) and I'd defo lose the will to live - Rob

woodbloke":1cgrqgyf said:
mailee":1cgrqgyf said:
Same here Mailee...all we need now is the darts to complete the hat trick (no pun intended :oops: ) and I'd defo lose the will to live - Rob

it's not all bad then.

WELL I LIKE FOOTY - SO THERE

GUESS I'LL BE THE ONLY PERSON WATCHING THE BOX ON SAT NIGHT THEN :lol:

JonnyD":2e8rbiyn said:
If i get all my chisels honed in time ill be watching

cheers

jon

Don't forget, more than ten times in one day is considered obsessive; and you don't want to be called a Doug do you? :lol:

Yesterday was my afternoon in the pub...

I caught the RSA v Mexico game (or most of it.)

I was almost forced out of the pub by the incessant, annoying drone of those 'yazzmoompie' whatsits. Who the heck gave the fans those things to play with? :roll: It sounded like an angry hornets' nest!

I should think the players would be suffering tinitus after the game.

John :?

Latest posts

Back