The Ultimate Pillar Drill Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie Woody":8fx5tjit said:
Hi Steve

Just wondering if you have built your pillar drill table and fence? What was the final design and what materials and hardware did you use? Where did you source these items?

I hope to start a similar project so any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Hi Charley

This is real spooky! You must be psychic! :shock:

I have literally just come out of the workshop tonight after finally getting round to making this! I spent some hours on Sunday and tonight finishing it off. It still needs some further refinements but the basic thing is now done. See photos below...

I used some of my son's wardrobe which we recently dismantled, an old DIY built-in thing. It is like formica, if not the real thing and is about 27mm thick. I'm not too fussed what the jig looks like, just hope that it does what is required. The idea here is pretty much based on Jimi's excellent jig (thanks Jimi for sharing your idea all those months ago and sorry about delayed response). So I followed his idea in that it has a low fence. But instead of Jimi's lever clamp I have integrated some 3/4"/19mm T-track along the fence to provide means for attaching either adjustable lever clamps along the length of the fence or to place stop blocks for repetitive drilling. Although the drill press does have three rotating handles, each of them can be removed if they foul the fence when rotated, so one or more can be removed if they are a problem.

Not used it yet in anger but hopefully it should do the trick!

All comments welcome...
cheers
Steve

Attachments

• 03102011246.jpg
    03102011246.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 03102011241.jpg
    03102011241.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,178
Hi Steve

What a coincidence!!

This looks a very tidy job .... well done.

What is the core of the material you have used ..... is it MDF? My workshop can be quite humid and I was therefore thinking of using some birch ply I have and hopefully finding some formica like material (spent some time googling without success for this earlier) to laminate to the top.

Where did you source the t track and knobs please?

I much prefer your idea of the rail on the fence Steve!

You have made a great table and I shall be updating mine to include the track as you have done as I think this would be more flexible than the toggle clamps...although I think I will still keep the sliding toggle clamp blocks for additional support for supplimentary clamping.

I also want to incorporate a sliding sledge to hold a drill vise with XY adjustments. Still playing with this idea.

Cheers

Jimi

Charlie/Jimi

Thanks for your kind comments. The core material is just bog standard chipboard, typical wardrobe stuff. Birch ply would be the Rolls Royce Choice but I didn't have any the right size or thickness! The T-track is from Rutlands, I bought it during the summer when they were doing those offers for packs of 4. It's pretty good quality. I also bought a fixings pack from them which includes all the knobs, threaded sliders, inserts, etc. I'm sure you will be able to find it on their website.

As for the location of the rail on the fence, yeah, it just occurred to me that it didn't matter if it was on the top surface or the side face surface, and where it is now I can easily make L-shaped stop blocks to fit the knobs that you can see in the photos. I also plan to use Jimi's idea of having a toggle clamp fixed to a piece of ply which will slide in and secure (the ply) to the fence slide rail, so that this can be placed anywhere along the length of the fence for clamping the workpiece down.

I also still need to cut out a rectangular hole in the centre for fitting of a replaceable cutting block. Obviously this will have to be rebated etc. So still a couple of things to do...

cheers
Steve

I think that the drill press table is one of the most challenging design projects in the workshop. So much depends on what shape the drilled object is! Is the hole close to the fence or a long way away? Is the workpiece flat or on edge? Thick or thin? How do you deal with swarf?
The one you see me use in my videos is good, but it's far from perfect, not least because there is no DX incorporated. One day I'll I'll put some serious effort into redesigning it.
Good discussion above, though, TVM.
S

Hi Steve

What size is your table, and how did you decide on the spacing between the two T tracks please?

I am thinking of using the 18mm birch ply offcut I have, but wonder if it is thick enough to remain ridgid where it is unsupported by the drill table? I was wondering if I should make the table 1000mm x 500mm as one of the things I want to use it for is drilling the 35mm holes for kitchen cabinet hinges?

My original idea was to find some Melamine or Formica like material to laminate onto the ply but I cannot find a supplier of either product. There are some offcuts on ebay for collection only but too far away. Any idea where I can get something to make the top slick and easy to clean?

My new one is 600 x 500 . It is of 2 laminations of Baltic Birch and is about 21mm thick. It has a low fence with T-track and the table has 3 T-tracks in an H configuration. No routing just 4 pieces of birch ply bordering the T-tracks. It is thicher than my old ply one which was fine. Round removable inserts allow a range of drum sanders to work well with a dust collection drawer under the centre insert. Pictures this weekend when it gets finished.

For me this is a voyage of discovery (as usual!), so I had no pre-conceived drawings, I just measured up the pillar drill and looked at some off the shelf jigs which you can buy. Some links were provided in here from others plus plenty of tips.

My jig is about 24"x12" or 600x300mm.

I randomly decided on where the two parallel T-tracks should be located based on where the three securing bolts are located (these obviously can only be lined up with the slots in your metal pillar drill table). I don't think it matters too much where these two parallel T-tracks should be placed as long as the fence slides back and forth freely, i.e. they are perfectly parallel.

As I said the base is about 27mm thick and I think that this really helps with strength. I'm sure you could source some of this chipboard from kitchen worktop places and buy offcuts. I'm sure some of these sheds sometimes get rid of their offcuts or even talk to some kitchen installation companies they are bound to have an offcut which they will just chuck in a skip.

I agree with Steve's comments, this is a difficult jig to get right for all eventualities. As I have been making this I have stumbled across further problems and I am sure this list will grow. But you have to start somewhere! The holes I drilled for the sliding fence were too close to the T-strack mounted in the fence, this meant that the adjustable stop blocks could not slide past one or both fence fixing knobs which project out of the top of the fence. I have now drilled further holes further back towards the back of the drill.

The back edge of the fence where the floor standing pillar is located also now requires to be cutout of the fence in a semi-circular shape so that the back edge of the fence fits around the pillar when the fence is pushed further back. This allows for a larger depth of cut from fence to drill bit.

I have made some adjustable fence stop blocks (x2), cut the rectangular recess out in the centre of the jig for a replaceable cutting block and still need to cut the semi-circle, but otherwise it is complete (as far as I am aware at the moment, time will tell!). I may make a thinner back fence or even a taller fence as required should a job require it.

I also spent most of Sunday making an adjustable rectangle routing aid! I didn't want to just make a one off rectangular recess jig for a specific sized rectangular recess. So I thought I should make an adjustable one out of T-track. Not so easy! This took some head scratching, now I have dandruff as well as wood shavings on the workshop floor. You can see it in the pics below, but the router bit (a straight bit with top mounted bearing) has somehow taken a wee shaving off the bottom edge of the T-track on the inside of the jig where the hole was being cut along the periphery. The jig is also difficult to square up but this may be due to my poor hand filing of the ends of the T-track where they meet another piece of T-track. Given some patience it works ok, but I still don't like overhead routing with this kind of setup as you just can't see anything.

Feel free to comment...

cheers
Steve

Attachments

• 09102011249_35%.jpg
    09102011249_35%.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,063
  • 09102011259_35%.jpg
    09102011259_35%.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,063
  • 09102011258_35%.jpg
    09102011258_35%.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 2,063
  • 09102011261_35%.jpg
    09102011261_35%.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2,063
O.K. so I went for a medium fence. T-tracks in an H shape, so 4 laminates fit around the T-tracks and are glued to the subtop. This sits on a drawer unit that also acts as a dust trap at the rear section of the drawer used when sanding. A few rings fit in the removable centre to match some drum sanders. A featherboard can be fitted in the middle of the T-tracks. End stops can be fitted, 2 are shown. The crank has a clear swing, unimpeded by the table. A 5 drawer chest sits under the table, holding sharpening and grinding equipment and Tormek jigs.
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p244 ... _52/Drill/

Mike Wingate":34scmx5n said:
O.K. so I went for a medium fence. T-tracks in an H shape, so 4 laminates fit around the T-tracks and are glued to the subtop. This sits on a drawer unit that also acts as a dust trap at the rear section of the drawer used when sanding. A few rings fit in the removable centre to match some drum sanders. A featherboard can be fitted in the middle of the T-tracks. End stops can be fitted, 2 are shown. The crank has a clear swing, unimpeded by the table. A 5 drawer chest sits under the table, holding shaepening and grinding equipment and Tormek jigs.
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p244 ... _52/Drill/

That's very very impressive Mike!!! =D>

I think I might have to start again now!

Cheers

Jim

The materials for the drill table and fences is all Baltic Birch ply. Nice and flat as well as stiff. The cabinet below is old pitch pine for the frame and drawer fronts with MDF top and ply sides and back. The bottom middle drawer is short as the central column gets in the way. The 2 larger drawers run on bargain sliders from Axminster. The T-Track and fittings are sourced from Axminster also.

Hey Mike, that's an awesome jig! Well done. I like the use of the space underneath the table, I didn't think of that, d'oh! Ummm, more mods needed...

cheers
Steve

Back