The start of a new addiction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've never posted in this section before, but I'm slowly being converted to the idea of scrolling.

So along with many other people I assume, I have been looking into buying a scroll saw, and along with everyone else I am facing the inevitable question of which to buy within an allocated budget.

I have read the many threads on this very subject and am currently watching a Hegner offering on eBay, however unless a second hand machine comes up at the right price, I can't justify the cost of a new machine, on a hobby I may not wish to keep up with. So the budget is running at around the £150 mark at the moment, so with this in mind I have looked at a couple of machine and wondered if anyone could offer any advice or reviews of them.

SCHEPPACH SD1600F - £134.95

Axminster Hobby Series RSS16E Scroll Saw - £149.95

Jet JSS-16 Benchtop Variable Speed Scroll Saw - £119.95

Record Power SS16V 405mm Scroll Saw - £129.99

SIP Scroll Saw - £135.00

As always I know the question has been asked a million times, but no up-to date information is available, I have searched and its a good couple of years since any good debate has been had on the subject.
One last thing, as I have already mentioned I am looking out for used Hegner machines, but although I understand they are the best/most preferred, they are also way out of my price range at the moment.

Cheers
Chris.

Starting out with a small budget is allways a problem, been there done that! i started scroll sawing just over a year ago for a bit of fun and a hobby ( it still is ) so i purchased a cheap proxxon dhs, not thinking about the fact it only took pin blades which limited me to doing fairly simple cuts, however i did learn a lot.I then purchased a second hand delta which had variable speed and i could use pinless blades, this opened up a whole new world with regard to doing pierce work ( inside cuts etc ) once again it was a good learning curve,but the more work i did the more i realised just how much easier and enjoyable scrolling can be if you get the right machine, my last saw was an excalibur which was great for about 3 months then sadly it had to be returned for repairs, i am now waiting for hegner to re stock so that i can get the multicut 2s. What i'm saying is this, i think the main thing to look for is a scroll saw that accepts pinless blades and with variable speed, you can have a lot of fun on a cheap saw, but it's surprising how quickly you can become disatisfied and wish you had saved just a little bit more to get a better machine..... good luck to you, hope you do get the hegner on ebay.
Terry

Hi deserter I would suggest that you stay with the Hegner path,I have the Hegner Multicut 1single speed the baby of the family.You are not the first to ask the question which one to buy,and most certainly will not be the last.I have had my Hegner for over twenty years and it has done everything I have asked of it.
If you saw Terry's post of his experience with the Excalibur,he was very fortunate to get his money so easy.I hope that the Hegner arrives with him soon.Chris I hope that you soon are the owner of a scrollsaw,and I forgot to welcome you to the forum,and has you say it is addictive.

Bryan

Back