The Star - will someone pls buy and restore this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
Edited to delete text/link.

Attachments

• The Star Bandsaw.JPG
    The Star Bandsaw.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 328
Aahh, sorry all. Seems my post has been construed as a ramp. Edited to remove.

Machines like that were still in use in older engineering works in the 1970's

There is a very similar example in the Shopping Outlet centre at the old Swindon GWR works.

I would love to tackle something of that age. Am I right in thinking that's hand powered? The big wheel has a handle

The Big band 'driving wheel' is more like a flywheel, there is a belt driven wheel on the other end of its shaft.

wallace":96ta1tgd said:
I would love to tackle something of that age.

So would I. Unfortunately, I have neither the space nor skill :(

Other pictures of it show what Chas has said - it was driven by a belt. Some sort of line shaft or power take off from a tractor? Adaptation to hand or pedal power would be an interesting conversion.

A beautiful machine.

Why would a line shaft driven bandsaw need a flywheel? it really does look to me like a hand cranked machine, after all you do have to keep the apprentice fit.

On a lightly loaded task like the cutting on a band saw blade the flat belt drive may flap and snatch, a certain amount of fly wheel action dampens this tendency, the larger diameter drive wheel of course also provides a greater surface area for transferring driving forces to the blade.

Latest posts

Back