Key switch to operate - where to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help rather than me having to try a miriad of different search terms and lots of scrolling - proving fruitless so far!

I want to buy a key switch to retrofit to a bandsaw. It’s a key switch where the key has to stay in the switch for the bandsaw to operate. My google-fu is failing me and I’m hoping someone just knows the right thing and the right term.

Thanks!

Try searching for "Key Operated Switch".......

I did so and there are plenty to choose from.......Here is an example......

https://www.jwsltd.co.uk/KS-2.html?utm_term=&utm_campaign=UK+|+Shopping+|+All+Products+(Max+Clicks)&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=9050400371&hsa_cam=18269910600&hsa_grp=141000968397&hsa_ad=620435827662&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-294682000766&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmYCzBhA6EiwAxFwfgIMXwxkOkEKfVMSLYi7A2tfQVj3tgSh5O_LVhtPloipU8N2gdjXvURoCKiMQAvD_BwE

On that particular example, I believe you would want the KS1 option from your description of your requirements.....👍
It's a "Maintained Double Pole" switch.

Search for m22 push button. Lots of stuff will come up including switches.
Brands to look for include schneider harmony and eaton which are the two families that I tend to buy. Both have a big range including key swiches.

Try searching for "Key Operated Switch".......

I did so and there are plenty to choose from.......Here is an example......

https://www.jwsltd.co.uk/KS-2.html?utm_term=&utm_campaign=UK+|+Shopping+|+All+Products+(Max+Clicks)&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=9050400371&hsa_cam=18269910600&hsa_grp=141000968397&hsa_ad=620435827662&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-294682000766&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmYCzBhA6EiwAxFwfgIMXwxkOkEKfVMSLYi7A2tfQVj3tgSh5O_LVhtPloipU8N2gdjXvURoCKiMQAvD_BwE

On that particular example, I believe you would want the KS1 option from your description of your requirements.....👍
It's a "Maintained Double Pole" switch.
Is maintained the term for ‘key has to stay in to operate’ ?

That’s the less obvious part for my searching.

Is maintained the term for ‘key has to stay in to operate’ ?

That’s the less obvious part for my searching.

Yes, I believe so.
The other option (KS2) is "Momentary" and I believe that means you would have to hold the key in the on position for it to continue activating whatever you are using the switch for.

I'm sure @Spectric can confirm...?

Yes, I believe so.
The other option (KS2) is "Momentary" and I believe that means you would have to hold the key in the on position for it to continue activating whatever you are using the switch for.
I’ve had a quick search and there’s nothing that suggests you can’t turn the switch on, remove the key and walk away leaving it turned on with a maintained switch.

All sorted now though but thanks!

Latest posts

Back