The Restorer Guy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Established Member
Reaction score
Did any one else see this thought it was going to be good :roll:

Gable Painter (yes, that's his real name) brings new life to old structures in Restorer Guy. A meticulous and obsessive home restoration expert, Gable Painter and his team get their hands dirty restoring historic homes in an effort to bring America back to its former beauty one house at a time.

Like watching a disaster movie :lol:

I had hopes. I watched about five minutes, realised that C4 movies were showing Judge Dredd and went for that instead. I couldn't stand all the bl**dy pontificating! The bit when he gave his guys a lesson in tearing out a lath wall! Priceless. And the general 'never use one word where I can force in ten' script...

Yep, I was expecting a nice mellow Alan Herd restoration type programme, what we got was more Ty Pennington and where he's concerned it's fortunate for my TV and bank balance that I don't have a lounge pistol.

Won't be watching it again

Don't start me on Ty Pennington! All the emotion over the poor so-and-sos he is helping - why not stick the money into Jimmy Carter's Habitat for Humanity project and then film that? It would be a lot more interesting.
What has annoyed me is that DIY SOS, which I used to like, has now changed to only doing 'social' cases - that's fine, but it doesn't sit well with the cheeky chappie format (apart from Bob, of course) and the guys spend too much time emoting. I preferred the old knockabout, bacon sarnie, Julian's farted again format.

Smudger":2197jec6 said:
realised that C4 movies were showing Judge Dredd and went for that instead.

Bloody awful film, isn't it :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Series title should read The Botch Job Guy :lol:
Smudgers alter ego couldn't look more inept with a chisel.
The finishes are worse than letting a 10 yr old loose decorating a playhouse.

My great shame is that I saw Dredd in the cinema. In my defence, I was young and my mate was a massive Dredd comics fan.

"I AM the law"

We ought to have a TV Programmes thread.

I've been stuck in with a rotten cod and koff the last few days, and I watched a lot of the stuff on Shed. What do other people make of New Home DIY? I think Dave does an unpretentious job with minimum fuss, but I did see him split a door when chiselling a hinge rebate...

Smudger":um2i1cri said:
I had hopes. I watched about five minutes, realised that C4 movies were showing Judge Dredd and went for that instead. I couldn't stand all the bl**dy pontificating! The bit when he gave his guys a lesson in tearing out a lath wall! Priceless. And the general 'never use one word where I can force in ten' script...

Blimey.... it must have been really really bad if you preferred to watch Judge Dread !

Smudger":3fmvupdy said:
We ought to have a TV Programmes thread.

Anyone been watching Spiral II? Cracking series and great acting especially by Caroline Proust.
53210.jpg

I watched both episodes of The Restorer Guy in the hope that there would be some improvement but I was soooo wrong.
It was all about his huge ego, the parts he had made for the porch restoration looked shoddy and considering all the ar##ing about he did to get the "mantle," when it was shown at the end of the project and the homeowner was so happy with the work, there were about half a dozen holes in the face of it where it looked like it had been screwed to the chimney breast. Perhaps they were pushed for time with the filming or the editing was wrong, but if that was testimony to the quality of work he produces I think I`ll give this a miss in future.

Dex

Smudger":31cpwhr3 said:
Don't start me on Ty Pennington! All the emotion over the poor so-and-sos he is helping -

The early series of Extreme makeover - Home edition are actually quite good. It seemed they spent about ten mins with the family before going into a lot of detail with the build then 5-10mins at the end showing them round.

Now you get 25mins of crying and tense staring at the beginning, 10mins of Ty (which means 'house' in Welsh!) screaming through a megaphone, the fit bird (paige?) making dolls houses and the dopey carpenter fumbling with a chisel followed by 25mins of more crying!

I much prefer DIY-SOS. 5mins of 'give-us-a-quick-sob-story', 20mins of crash, bang, wallop, eat-a-bag-of-chips-have-a-pint-mock-the-blonde-bird followed by 5mins of 'there's-your-house your-lifes-all-better-now.

:lol:

Back