The quote button.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the upgrade and big improvement to the forum the only thing I can't seem to work out how to do is quote a post in order to reply to that specific post.
I look at the forum on my phone if that makes a difference.

powertools":isw2ck07 said:
Since the upgrade and big improvement to the forum the only thing I can't seem to work out how to do is quote a post in order to reply to that specific post.

click the right most of the four buttons shown in the post. it looks like a comic book speech bubble

Brandlin":mj5s95vf said:
powertools":mj5s95vf said:

click the right most of the four buttons shown in the post. it looks like a comic book speech bubble

Thanks for that. It looks like a hose clip to me.

I think summats got mixed up here, that far right of the 2 blue things for quoting is in fact the view your posts and forum icon.
Surely a quote icon should be speech marks :idea:
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":3478dt7z said:
I think summats got mixed up here, that far right of the 2 blue things for quoting is in fact the view your posts and forum icon.
Cheers Andy

I said the right most of the four buttons in the post.
from left to right they are

Cog with a downward arrow (report post edit post delete post)
Thumbs up Like button
Thumbs down dislike button
Speech bubble quote button <<<<<--- THIS ONE

The hint that i might be right is that i'm using the button to quote your post in my reply...

You are both right!

The same icon gets used for two different purposes - in the drop down menu it is indeed for looking at your own posts:

forum_menu.JPG

That's not very good user interface design - but does anyone know if it's a deficiency with the new version of PHP BB software that the forum is using, or a configurable choice which Charley could fix?

(I think there may be other instances where the icons are not what I would expect - eg an envelope for private messages rather than email.)

Attachments

• forum_menu.JPG
    forum_menu.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 534
AndyT":10jq2yxk said:
(I think there may be other instances where the icons are not what I would expect - eg an envelope for private messages rather than email.)

I agree that the icons you get when you click on a users avatar seem to be the wrong way around - an envelope for a pm and speech bubbles for an email (note its the same speech bubbles again)

But every one of these buttons has a tool tip - ie hover over it with your mouse (or tap and hold in mobile phones) and it tells you what it does. So whilst i agree that some of the iconography could be nicer and more consistent it actually has minimal effect on the functionality. It takes literally a second or two to discover.

Brandlin":2dncege2 said:
toolsntat":2dncege2 said:
Cheers Andy

I said the right most of the four buttons in the post.
from left to right they are

Cog with a downward arrow (report post edit post delete post)
Thumbs up Like button
Thumbs down dislike button
Speech bubble quote button <<<<<--- THIS ONE

The hint that i might be right is that i'm using the button to quote your post in my reply...

Odd, I see 2 blue on a phone in portrait and thanks but I knew about it being the quote button so no hints required.
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• rsz_img_20180303_173819.jpg
    rsz_img_20180303_173819.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 455
Back