The Philly Forge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
As you probably noticed, I have been making a few planes. And when making the irons for said planes I normally use a gas gun to do the heat treating. But with thick steel (thicker than 3mm) I have real problems achieving enough heat to harden them. So I have come up with this - the Philly Forge.
Made from a wok and a hairdryer (yes, you heard right!!) it works great!
I have put instructions on how to make one here...
DSCF0263.jpg

Hope you find this useful,
Philly :D

Phil,

Nice one, I bet the egg fried rice is a bit gritty after this. :roll:

I used charcoal with a car heater fan in a plywood box to forge some reinforcing iron, never had a wok, I had never seen one, let alone had one to butcher 40 years ago. Warning damp house bricks burst if you make a hearth from them. :oops: I know better now but back then I tried all sorts of things that would have given Mum a heart attack if she had seen them. ](*,)

Phil,

A nice demo of alternative technology!
I think I should be a bit concerned about burning the metal - I found it rather easy to do this on a blacksmithing course I went on a few years ago.

Phill - excellent idea and I bet it works a treat. Always good to lash up something effective for next to nothing....hope you told SWIMBO what you borrowed her hairdryer for tho' 8-[ :D - Rob

Nice one Philly. I tried it out yesterday, and as you say its the hair drier that makes all the difference. Mind you I had to buy SWMBO a new Wok. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Have a look at some of the knife making forums for small coke/charcoal forge plans - never use zinc plated or galvanised metals in a forge though - fumes are very dangerous

Kane":24rrhrdo said:
Have a look at some of the knife making forums for small coke/charcoal forge plans - never use zinc plated or galvanised metals in a forge though - fumes are very dangerous

I would have to agree with Kane here, the zinc and other chemicals can make you feel quite unwell.

I used to be a welder and quite often off sick with what we call in the trade 'Metal Fume Fever' through not having the proper ventilation.

Martin

motownmartin":1ek8akxq said:
I used to be a welder and quite often off sick with what we call in the trade 'Metal Fume Fever' through not having the proper ventilation.

Martin

Been there too.

Check out britishblades.co.uk for more ideas on making 'edged tools'. Some really good stuff being posted there.

Hey Waka thats not fair!

I suppose I could use one of the barrows though :-k Just think of the size of Irons I could forge then?

Then I couls always ask my sister in law if I could use their forge :shock:

SM
When the steel reached a certain temperature it goes through a change where it alters state. This temperature needs to be reached and then the piece is quenched, "trapping" the steel in this enhanced state.
The great thing is this - when the steel alters state it loses it magnetism!! A quick test for attraction with a handy magnet will confirm if you are ready for quenching.
Hope this helps
Phil :D

sawdust maker":2c7e234u said:
Nice one. But what's this about a magnet to test it? How does that work :?:

When the Curie point is reached the magnet will not attract the steel and the cooking process is done.

Bob

No food at the next southern bash then? :cry:

Lovely job Philly, heating them enough is a real pain and that looks like tbe solution,.

A lot of us could do that this year, havent used any of the BBQ charcoal at all.

Next you will need to make a freezing plant to really chill the blades.

Love to try one of your planes one of these days.

Latest posts

Back