The Perfect Workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Was having a conversation with a fellow cabinet maker friend of mine in the pub the other day and we got talking about what we would like our perfect workshop to be like.

I dont mean tools (although im sure that could be just as much of aq wood geek conversation) but the building itself.
For example I said i would have:
Brick built building
Pitched roof open to the height inside so i'd never have to worry about hitting the lights with a long plank again
Velux windows in the roof to give plenty of natural light (would also mean i would only need one or two normal window giving more wall space to put things against)
Floated (100% flat) wood floor, with extraction ducting run underneath it connected to a...
External large extractor on the outside of the building.

The main things he was after was a separate machine room to bench room, and also a spray booth. O yes and a sink!

Im sure you've all had this conversation before, so i thought it might me interesting to hear other peoples dream requirements?

Luke

There is an interesting bit in Alan Peter's book about this. He says that a separate machine room is essential. Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

A separate metalwork room, effective heating/cooling, maybe an office with computer for planning projects, browsing this forum, etc....
Philly :D

My thoughts would be:
1) woodwork room
2) metal work room
3) office space - for computer, paper work
4) wet room - sink, sharpening, kettle etc
5) spray room
6) finishing room.
7) wood store
8 ) external noisy room containing all extraction vacs, air compressors, air con units etc.
9) clean store room for storing projects prior to delivery to client.
10) acclimatisation room - with the ability to set humidity and temperature in order to acclimatise project to in an environment similar to their final resting place.
11) garage for keeping forklift, hand truck etc in.

All rooms to have; fully insulated, superb lighting (both natural and electric), good central heating, air con.
Finishing room to be a clean room - with complete separation from all other mucky rooms.
Wood store to be capable of holding many Cu m of wood - to enable buying in bulk at much reduced pricing. Must also be able to store sheet goods.

All rooms to have access to 110v, 240v & 415v 3 phase electrical supplies, air compressor outlets, extraction outlets (both small bore and large).

All rooms must be accessible for a forklift to make moving things in/out a simple operation.

Personally I'd rather not have the ducting under the floor - it makes for a hellish job if something gets blocks. Also I think a solid floor would be better for supporting large equipment.

A padded room where I can smash/kick the rubbish outta something, when it all goes breasts up, without everyone within 10 miles hearing me having my tantrum. I'd likely spend a lot of time in there so a kettle might be nice.

studders":dcyfuoy3 said:
A padded room where I can smash/kick the rubbish outta something, when it all goes breasts up, without everyone within 10 miles hearing me having my tantrum. I'd likely spend a lot of time in there so a kettle might be nice.

+1

At the moment, anyhting that's

A: NOT made of pressed steel
B: Insulated
C: NOT sat directly on ground (ie. NO floor :shock: )
D: has windows
E: has more than 1 socket.

basically anything that my current shed is not! :

Shultzy":1s7tcuxl said:
I think jlawrence wants something the size of a B&Q store :lol: Me, perhaps the Wood Whisperer's workshop would be a start.

The old one or the new one? ;)

Shultzy":1jdk2w3u said:
wizer":1jdk2w3u said:
Shultzy":1jdk2w3u said:
I think jlawrence wants something the size of a B&Q store :lol: Me, perhaps the Wood Whisperer's workshop would be a start.

The old one or the new one? ;)

I think the new one is only temporary, so maybe the one he wants to move into :lol:

I'm sure many of us would kill for the "small" three-car garage he's temporarily working in at the moment... :roll: :)

wizer":1rdqsskp said:
There is an interesting bit in Alan Peter's book about this. He says that a separate machine room is essential. Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

If you have a garage beside your house, enough space in the back garden and the money to buy or build a half-decent shed, I believe this is achievable... You could keep all your machines in the garage and probably store timber, too. Hand tools, assembly and all that could be tackled in the shed, away from all the noise and mess. :)

But still, you'd have to look at insulating and heating two small workshops, essentially...

jlawrence":1kqh58bh said:
My thoughts would be:
1) woodwork room
2) metal work room
3) office space - for computer, paper work
4) wet room - sink, sharpening, kettle etc
5) spray room
6) finishing room.
7) wood store
8 ) external noisy room containing all extraction vacs, air compressors, air con units etc.
9) clean store room for storing projects prior to delivery to client.
10) acclimatisation room - with the ability to set humidity and temperature in order to acclimatise project to in an environment similar to their final resting place.
11) garage for keeping forklift, hand truck etc in.

That's not a workshop, that's a small factory!

Nonetheless, as this is a collective pipe dream I guess it's no holds barred and congratulations for having a thorough and spectacularly detailed imagination.

Right now I'd settle for power, lights and a roof that doesn't leak. I'm sure my requirements will grow once those things are sorted.

L Harding":mz3tokew said:
Was having a conversation with a fellow cabinet maker friend of mine in the pub the other day and we got talking about what we would like our perfect workshop to be like.

I dont mean tools (although im sure that could be just as much of aq wood geek conversation) but the building itself.
For example I said i would have:
Brick built building
Pitched roof open to the height inside so i'd never have to worry about hitting the lights with a long plank again
Velux windows in the roof to give plenty of natural light (would also mean i would only need one or two normal window giving more wall space to put things against)
Floated (100% flat) wood floor, with extraction ducting run underneath it connected to a...
External large extractor on the outside of the building.

The main things he was after was a separate machine room to bench room, and also a spray booth. O yes and a sink!

Im sure you've all had this conversation before, so i thought it might me interesting to hear other peoples dream requirements?

Luke

Had to have a little smile to myself reading that, Luke.

The workshop I share fulfils most of your requirements; brick built building with wooden floor, pitched roof which we plan to open up to eaves this year removing the current ceiling and fitting Velux windows, and a spray booth.

I am toying with putting the dust extraction system outside but worry about heat loss. Also, we have a wood burning stove and if the extractor was outside it would adversely affect the efficiency of the flue. It's bad enough having to keep the main door open when the spray booth is on to avoid having a workshop full of smoke - if we had to do it every time we put the dust extractor on too it would be a nightmare!

I disagree about the seperate machine room. As far as I'm concerned there is no point in a project at which you move from preparation work to assembly work - I need access to my table saw, band saw, and planer/thicknesser throughout the whole production process. Maybe that comes though, from my habit of making up a design as I go along rather than planning it meticulously in advance!

What about size?

I reckon 800sq ft is the optimum size required to fit in all the kit required for a pro cabinet maker, including a spray booth. 1200 sq ft would be nice and would allow you to seperate off the finishing area. Anything more is a luxury and will get full of rubbish in no time.

Ours is 800 sq ft plus a seperate timber store outside. Very nearly perfect!

Oh, I nearly forgot - it needs to be on a mainish road to attract passing trade. 50% of our business comes from an 'A' board outside the workshop on a busy commuter route. A very important consideration, as is the coffee shop next door and the chip shop three doors down!

:lol:

OPJ":x91eh3y6 said:
wizer":x91eh3y6 said:

If you have a garage beside your house, enough space in the back garden and the money to buy or build a half-decent shed, I believe this is achievable... You could keep all your machines in the garage and probably store timber, too. Hand tools, assembly and all that could be tackled in the shed, away from all the noise and mess. :)

But still, you'd have to look at insulating and heating two small workshops, essentially...

Olly,

After 'half-decent shed', why didn't you include 'a spouse who agrees?'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John :wink:

Me I would like two workshops, one on the North coast of N.S.W for working Sept to March , and the other in its present situation for April / Sept.
Only one number on the lottery again this week.

Back