The old and the new (writing sideboard) Finished for now

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph clark

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of my older projects

My kitchen which I built 1 year before we started building the house.
P1000354.jpg

Includes a fridge and dishwasher
P1000356.jpg

The worktop between the kitchen and living room with built in note pad box and cut out for pen.
P1000360.jpg

An old style dresser
P1000362.jpg

My latest project is a cupboard for my office using my partners desk, which I didn't make, as a model.

P1000343.jpg

The top will have 3 inlay panels in the same false leather and 5 draws. totalling 2.5 meters long

P1000345.jpg

P1000350.jpg

P1000348.jpg

P1000352.jpg

The front is made up of 4 draws and 1 cupbaord on each side and 4 draws in the middle. Adding the 5 draws of the top = 17 draws.

P1000346.jpg

With raised panel sides

P1000347.jpg

P1000353.jpg

After there will be shelves which will be full length and to ceiling height . The whole finished piece will fit on the end wall in my office.
P1000344.jpg

MORE TO COME...........

There's some very impressive work there - and a very clean, well lit workshop you have yourself also.

Looking forward to seeing the rest soon! :D

Excellent work,love the raised panel doors :D
Nice workshop as well (although far too clean.. :lol: )

Andrew

Bonjour Chris, particularly love the Kitchen. cracking stuff. Workshop/Garage or whatever looks great, how big is it. Gotta be better than my old shed. What's it like to live in France? I often envy what I see on the telly, 3 barns 20 acres, farmhouse etc £120k not quite but you know what I mean.
Regards from blighty

The living conditions in France depend quite heavily on where you derive your income. A mate of mine has his modest pension paid in sterling and subject to Uk tax and then has to convert it to Euros at the prevailing rate. When he first went out there and Euro was about 65p now he is paying 78p or so for a Euro so a big difference.
Also i don't know what the actual inflation rate is in France but as one who holidays there most years it seems to be getting significantly dearer year on year for tourist type expenses hotel/fuel/food/eating out.

Bob

The garage workshop is 40m2 fully insulated, tiled, heated, 2 doors to connect to the house, 1 phone point, built in multiroom audio with ceiling speakers and 2 garage doors.
I have been living in France for over 16 years now. It has, in the last few years, become more expensive. Saying that the house prices are far less than the UK. I would say about half. even so, I buy most of my tools from the UK and try to visit 3 different supermarkets to get as many BOGOF's as possible and other things like good old Baked Beans and Walkers crisps.

As for income I have always been working here for a British company as an engineer for the channel tunnel and as my wife is french she too works.

Today I glued up the top
P1000379.jpg

P1000380.jpg

P1000381.jpg

P1000382.jpg

Finished the middle carcass

P1000383.jpg

And fiited the top on roller stands to get an idea of what it will look like.
P1000385.jpg

P1000387.jpg

More to come :D

Looking good so far!

Plus all that space, festools and bessey clamps-all very gloat worthy.

Even a couple of glimpses of a Normite shirt too!!!

Regards

Bob

Even a couple of glimpses of a Normite shirt too
Yes thats for when it gets cold

You will see on the right of the picture with the clamps I have 2 new Axminster clamps with green handles.. For the price they are very good...

How do you rate the axminsters Vs Bessey

Well I have only had them for 1 day and used them twice but I like them. Maybe thats because they cost half of the Bessey's. I like them better than the Dakota. In fact there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Axminster and the Bessey apart from the price.. Time will tell........

Today (Tuesday) I glued the final front frame onto the carcass
P1000397.jpg

Fitted the draw runners in the main cupboard
P1000395.jpg

Moved the top because I needed the space
P1000399.jpg

Went and bought some more wood ready for the 17 draws
P1000400.jpg

P1000398.jpg

And made a mess.. ah no :(

P1000401.jpg

More to come

But if you are gluing everyting toghether, will you be ablte to get it into the room
The 3 base units will stay separate and will be just pushed together when finally installed but the top is one long 2.5 metre piece. There is no problem moving it around like this.... :idea:

Hi Christoph,

Do you find it fairly easy to buy decent wood in France? A mate of mine who lives much further south than, you near Villeneuve Sur Lot complains that most of the timber he is offered makes B&Q wood look good quality.

What sort of places do you use?

Regards

Bob

Christoph - looking really good. And rapid progress too! This is my favourite type of thread - lots of lovely WIP photos. Any thoughts on finish yet?

Christoph, that's an impressive job your doing there. It's must take a bit of effort to shift it around the garage when you work on different aspects of it. And progress looks swift too.

Love the light you have in the shop as well.

Ted

Back